Random Keats Sightings

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Random Keats Sightings

Postby Malia » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:14 pm

For some reason, I thought we'd already created this particular thread, but as I can't find it in the "Keats around the world" list, I decided to start one up :)

So, here I was last night, in my jammies, minding my own business watching an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation before bed and what should happen but Deanna Troy picks up an old Victorian-looking book of several hundred pages, turns to Riker with a sentimental smile, reads the book spine and says, "Ode to Psyche by John Keats" (as if it was "their" poem--how Romantic :lol:) I thought to myself, "damn! I didn't know there was a book-length version of the Ode!" ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:28 pm

Oh dear, Keats in Star Trek :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:13 pm

I was jammies last night watching HBO's "Big Love"--crazy polygamists! :lol: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:53 pm

And this has to do with sightings of Keats how???

"Madam, are you sure you've come to the right thread?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:28 am

Stephen, you're right. I apologize. Let me relate it somehow and back pedal as quickly as possible...Keats would never want three wives, let alone one. :oops: :?
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:02 am

No you're okay - I like random thoughts - stream of conciousness stuff.

Just thought that was a bit off-topic :lol: :lol: :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:48 pm

It was. That's why I back pedaled...I had just watched it and it struck a weird chord in me at that very moment, was all...I need to learn to curb my impetuousity at times, sir. :oops:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:35 pm

Don't worry - just keep up the good work, and the poems of course :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:05 am

I've one brewing. Won't be done for a little bit, though--this one is troubling me.
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:14 am

I've been searching for recordings of Nightingale birdsong that I can use in a poetry recitation I'm giving for Toastmasters on Monday and in this search I've found some great examples. Though I can't use this one because of their public use rules, I thought I'd share it with you because it is of the best :) For those of you who have Windows Media Player, all you have to do is click the link at the page about Keats and you will hear what *he* must have heard when he was inspired to write one of his greatest Odes. Enjoy!

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/features/keats/keatsnightingale.html
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:22 am

I'm beginning to think that one of the writers on Star Trek: The Next Generation was a Keats fan. . .he was mentioned *again* on one of tonight's episodes. In this instance, Data was doing a poetry recital of his own works (and boring everyone in his audience silly). Before his last poem--by way of introduction--he said that, in the tradition of John Keats and --some other made-up poet who lived in the 22nd century--he had composed an Ode. In this case, it was an Ode to his cat, Spot. Ok, the poem was hillarious. Data referred to Spot using every scientific term imaginable and recited the poem in the most unassuming dead-pan, it was a great performance! (Keats, who I have read from his contemporaries read his own poems in just as dull and monotonous way as Data) would have been pleased! ;) :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:55 am

Able to locate this poem online, Malia? I'm sure we'd all love to read it, if we're unable to see/hear Data read it himself! :D

Keats was briefly mentioned in the book I'm reading right now. I'm too tired to go downstairs in the dark to get it and quote it for you, though. Maybe tomorrow.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:09 am

Malia wrote:I'm beginning to think that one of the writers on Star Trek: The Next Generation was a Keats fan. . .he was mentioned *again* on one of tonight's episodes. In this instance, Data was doing a poetry recital of his own works (and boring everyone in his audience silly). Before his last poem--by way of introduction--he said that, in the tradition of John Keats and --some other made-up poet who lived in the 22nd century--he had composed an Ode. In this case, it was an Ode to his cat, Spot. Ok, the poem was hillarious. Data referred to Spot using every scientific term imaginable and recited the poem in the most unassuming dead-pan, it was a great performance! (Keats, who I have read from his contemporaries read his own poems in just as dull and monotonous way as Data) would have been pleased! ;) :lol:

I used to really like Star Trek The Next Generation - I'm not a trekkie but I do have a soft spot for it sometimes...

They always seemed to be well written too - obviously at that age I was more interested in the sexy ship-counsellor chick whatever her name was - Diana Troy was it??
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:12 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Able to locate this poem online, Malia? I'm sure we'd all love to read it, if we're unable to see/hear Data read it himself! :D

I found Data's Ode to Spot! Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks it's hillarious. :lol:

Here it is:

"Ode to Spot" by Lieutenant Commander Data

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature.
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents.
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.
Oh Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array,
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.
Last edited by Malia on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:13 pm

That is pure comedy genius :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Next

Return to Keats around the world