Why did you first come to this site?

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Why did you first come to this site?

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:23 pm

Just out of curiosity...:D

What was your initial impetus for searching out this site?

Was it merely to read about Keats work?

A request for some help with your homework?

Were you recommended by a friend?

What was your first impression?

Has it it met/surpassed/disappointed your expectations?

Have you learned anything new, or benfitted in any way from participating in this forum?

Why have you continued to visit/post?

No this is not a staisfaction survey: just my own curiosity about you lovely people out there.
Last edited by Saturn on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:56 pm

I came here because I was starved for Keats conversation. I was in Scotland at the time, away from my friends with whom I typically hold in depth, intellectual conversations, so I was feeling like in spite of all the great experiences I was having there, certain parts of my brain were starting to fall asleep. Aside from that, those same friends from whom I was separated, although extremely intelligent and often times well-read folk, really aren't that into poetry, much less Keats. I thought that I could kill two birds with one stone: 1) by discussing Keats here, I could share my enthusiasm with other people who actually care to hear it, as well as expand my understanding through discussion, and 2) relieve my poor, confused friends of my random and unreciprocated outbursts of Keats love by expelling them here instead.

I think the reason I've stuck around is the community atmosphere of the forum. I've been on huge forums where it's very hard to get to know anyone, so it really feels like you're talking to a computer rather than real people on the other end. But because this is a comparatively small forum, it's very easy to communicate and know who it is you're conversing with, which is not only much more pleasant, but practical as well, since our views of Keats (and any writer or any kind of art, for that matter) are so often products of our individual lives.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:57 am

I first found this site several years ago--maybe in the late 90's or early 00's? I posted a few messages, but I admit I left the forum because no one really responded to any of my posts or even said "hello" when I first showed myself.

I forgot about the site and then about 6 months ago, when I was doing a search on Keats, I found it again and thought I'd try once more--and give posting another chance. I'm certainly glad I did as this is a great forum and I've really enjoyed being a part of it :)

Like Credo, I'm glad to have a place where I can talk about Keats (the phrase "Keats-aholics anonymous" comes to mind! :lol:) without getting the dreaded blank stare in return. You all know the blank stare, right? Whenever you mention Keats--or *try* to plug him into a conversation--with your non-Keatsian friends they stare at you with a look that says, "Oh my God this is going to be boring" comined with a hint of "will there be a test on this?? I'm beginning to have post-traumatic stress-related memories about that English teacher back in High School who used to force me to recite Ode on a Grecian Urn while doing an interpretive dance based on an Elgin marbles scene". Anyway, not a look a person wants to receive :lol: :roll:

I've certainly learned a lot on this forum--not just about Keats, but about so many different artists and musicians! It's a lot of fun to be able to chat with everyone :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:37 am

Malia wrote:Like Credo, I'm glad to have a place where I can talk about Keats (the phrase "Keats-aholics anonymous" comes to mind! :lol:) without getting the dreaded blank stare in return. You all know the blank stare, right?

Oh, the dreaded, yet always expected "blank stare of doom." I wish my friends would at least try and take an interest. :roll:

Infinitely worse, though, is when you decide that you're not going to bring Keats up anymore and then your newer friends don't know your obsession. Case in point: one day at dinner, my former stand partner from the band was talking about how much she loathed poetry, and after a few moments of silence after her little speech, added, "Especially Keats." I just sort of dropped my fork and said, "You did not just say that in front of me!"

"What?!"

"I'm sorry, Gretchen. We can't be friends anymore."

:P
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:07 am

Thanks for the replies guys. :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby greymouse » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:35 pm

I think I typed "john keats forum" into a search bar and it bubbled up to the top (I love the Internet!). I did it to:

relieve my poor, confused friends of my random and unreciprocated outbursts of Keats love by expelling them here instead.

Credo, you have in depth intellectual conversations with your friends? I so envy you. :(

Malia, "Non-Keatsian friends"?? Is there any other kind?

Anyway, that's why I came here. My friends and family hate poetry.
greymouse

Postby dks » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Who hates poetry?? Who hates Keats?? Can this be true?? Cold these people actually exist?? :shock: :x

I'm at a loss over this... :shock:

I came on here because--well, duh. I'm obsessed. That's why. And where else can I share my poetry with such intelligent, well read people who give insightful feedback??

Ahh yes, the blank stare. Seen it so many times, I ignore it now. :roll:

Anyway, to hell with anyone who doesn't like poetry or Keats, I say. I'm convinced he's going to meet me (along with my Maker) at the gates and it's he who nudges and lifts me up me when I'm stuck in the earthly mires...

So, I'm crazy. I could care less--I'd rather be crazy about Keats and poetry than many other things...

This forum has changed my life. Sounds corny, I know. But, guys, let's face it...unless we all become friends with Andrew Motion, there just ain't many folks out there who can appreciate this kind of art...they just don't get it. Am I an isolating ridiculous Romantic? You bet!! :wink:

Have I mentioned how much I love this forum today? I also know in my "Cors Cordium" that we all meet one day--Keats Convention, Saturn's house, Credo's pad in Limerick--I don't know, but we will--we have to!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:23 pm

dks wrote:This forum has changed my life. Sounds corny, I know. But, guys, let's face it...unless we all become friends with Andrew Motion, there just ain't many folks out there who can appreciate this kind of art...they just don't get it. Am I an isolating ridiculous Romantic? You bet!! :wink:

:lol: It is amazing to find others who like Keats as much as we all seem to. Frankly, I thought for some time that I was the *only* person who was a keats-o-phile (that's the much less intellectual version of a Keatsian, btw! :lol:).
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:45 pm

Great minds think alike, no?

:wink:

We're all Keats-o-philes together, we are. :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:13 pm

My story:

This site has been with a part of my life for over two years in which I met and lost the love of my life so far [this site even had a small role in our meeting] and while I made the best and only friends I've had for ten years. I've been on a rollercoaster of extreme emotions and feelings since then but I've alwys had a little corner of the web where I could bury my head when I've been in a hell of torment.

And the possibility of having intelligent, intellectual deabte on here with you guys has been a wonderful release. Nowhere else can I talk about the literature, music and interests I feel passionate about.

The last two years have turned my life around and this site has been a constant, a retreat and a joy.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:22 pm

dks wrote:Who hates poetry?? Who hates Keats?? Can this be true?? Cold these people actually exist?? :shock: :x

I'm at a loss over this... :shock:

I know! Isn't it one of the most genuinely sad feelings in life to know that there are people in the world who don't share, much less understand, the things that you are most passionate about? I suppose it's one of the greatest features of humanity that we all have our individual tastes and talents, but it's also one of the most frustrating that, for that same reason, there are certain points upon which we'll never all see eye-to-eye. :(

But it goes both ways, as always. I really upset one of my friends once by going into a long, drawn-out soliloquy about how much I despise math (she happens to be majoring in math). :?

It's really wonderful to read everyone's stories. This is a truly special little thing we have going here. :D
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Brave Archer » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:04 am

I came to this site looking for fans of his. Believe it or not there are a lot people who ve never heard of Keats where i am from. Forgive the way this looks Im typing on my cell phone.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby dks » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:05 am

Credo Buffa wrote:It's really wonderful to read everyone's stories. This is a truly special little thing we have going here. :D

Yes...I agree. It amazes me on a daily basis. We have got to try really hard to come up with a way to convene and meet one another...I can tell you that we'd all instantaneously recognize one another! :shock:

We're a tight-knit group and I couldn't be more thankful to be even considered as a part of it. :( :oops: :cry: :shock:
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:06 am

Brave Archer wrote:I came to this site looking for fans of his. Believe it or not there are a lot people who ve never heard of Keats where i am from. Forgive the way this looks Im typing on my cell phone.

Brave Archer! Good to hear from you! :)
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:10 am

Saturn wrote:My story:

This site has been with a part of my life for over two years in which I met and lost the love of my life so far [this site even had a small role in our meeting] and while I made the best and only friends I've had for ten years. I've been on a rollercoaster of extreme emotions and feelings since then but I've alwys had a little corner of the web where I could bury my head when I've been in a hell of torment.

And the possibility of having intelligent, intellectual deabte on here with you guys has been a wonderful release. Nowhere else can I talk about the literature, music and interests I feel passionate about.

The last two years have turned my life around and this site has been a constant, a retreat and a joy.

Stephen! :cry: If and when I ever meet you, I think I shall laugh so hard in a feeble attempt to mask my tears...you've such an endearing, stout heart...a rare quality in a man anymore...I know of only two others in possession of those traits--both Irishman at that. :shock: :lol:
dks
Dante

Next

Return to Miscellaneous