One Man

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

One Man

Postby Brave Archer » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:55 pm

Is there one some that explains how you feel towards the opposite sex.

Here is mine.

A walk in the park, or late night T.V
I'm a kind of simple man
I need you to understand me
A car and a dog, an apartment uptown,
I don't have much but me,
But i'd give it all if we could be.

Girl, i'm only One Man, doing what I can,
To give you everything you need,
To be ev'rything I can be.

A job and a dream, keep me off the street,
But sometimed I wanna go,
So I can buy you fancy clothes and things.
I pray that one day, my dreams will come true,
And the first thing that I'm gonna do is promise Eternal love to you.

But, i'm only one man,
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby dks » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:46 pm

I love the first stanza, BA! Very modern, yet plaintive and I can feel the pleading tone.

I think Saturn will move this to the poetry thread...but I wanted to reply anyway. :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:38 pm

I have a question that this poem/song raised in my mind. . .do most guys think they have to be *everything* for their "woman"? I mean, is there serious pressure in men's minds to be all that a girl wants and "give (her) everything (she) needs"?

That seems like an awful lot of pressure for a man to put himself under. Personally, I think it's a huge red flag when someone supposes they can get all they need out of one person or can *be* all someone *else* needs.

All I look for in a man is someone I can laugh with and someone who challenges me (and someone I can challenge)--and by that, I mean challenging each other to grow mentally, spiritually and keep healthy physically. But I don't want or need him to be my *everything*--not by a long shot!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby greymouse » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:18 pm

Cool poem Brave Archer, good to meet you. 8)

. . .do most guys think they have to be *everything* for their "woman"?

I know many guys who feel and act this way, yes. I think what a man "really" feels is totally different from guy to guy though.

All I look for in a man ...

Are you sure you didn't leave a bunch of stuff out? :P I always imagine that women want men to dance with them, and to be spontaneous and fun, and other very difficult things.

My feelings toward man-woman relations are best summed up in The Waste Land by Eliot, particularly A Game of Chess. I know, it sounds horrible to say, but I swear in every other way I'm a truly warm nice person.
greymouse

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:46 pm

dks wrote:
I think Saturn will move this to the poetry thread...but I wanted to reply anyway. :wink:

You know me too well - my OCD knows no bounds :lol:

As for this

Malia wrote:I have a question that this poem/song raised in my mind. . .do most guys think they have to be *everything* for their "woman"? I mean, is there serious pressure in men's minds to be all that a girl wants and "give (her) everything (she) needs"?

I suppose this is a bit of an old fashioned view that some men have - wanting to be Superman to Lois Lane if you will :wink:

Speaking for myself I know I have very little to give to anyone who ever wanted me.

I have a good heart, a lot of love to give, a sympathetic ear, a truthful tongue, hidden strengths and a determination to do as much good in the world for those I love as I can.

I have no money, no significant material possesions, no lust for power, wealth or influence.

I just want a quiet life with someone who could bear the sight of me for long enough to want to spend their life with me.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Brave Archer » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:58 pm

First I wanna say that that song is not me, rather, it belongs to an R&B singer by the name of Tank.

Malia wrote:I have a question that this poem/song raised in my mind. . .do most guys think they have to be *everything* for their "woman"? I mean, is there serious pressure in men's minds to be all that a girl wants and "give (her) everything (she) needs"?

That seems like an awful lot of pressure for a man to put himself under. Personally, I think it's a huge red flag when someone supposes they can get all they need out of one person or can *be* all someone *else* needs.!

Now Malia, first I wanna say that it is a lot of pressure that I feel -- can't speak for the other men here-- when first thinking of a relationship. Everything in life that i'm accomplishing in my so far short life and everything I will accomplish is done with an imaginary woman in mind. That is, I wonder will she be comfortable with me and the lifestyle i'm able to provide. Now the entire song, for me anyway, is a man saying i'm not perfect and I will give you everything I have which isn't much.

And I did sing this to someone a couple of nights ago.

![/quote] for in a man is someone I can laugh with and someone who challenges me (and someone I can challenge)--and by that, I mean challenging each other to grow mentally, spiritually and keep healthy physically. But I don't want or need him to be my *everything*--not by a long shot![/quote]

It's not about a man "being" your "everything" but to give you his all.

But, there is pressure a lot A WHOLE LOT. I don't event know if pressure is the right word, Malia, but it does seem to fit. It's just that we all know that no woman wants to date a guy who can only bring home a smile for dinner. :D

Cool poem Brave Archer, good to meet you.

Same to you greymouse.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:37 pm

Brave Archer wrote:But, there is pressure a lot A WHOLE LOT. I don't event know if pressure is the right word, Malia, but it does seem to fit. It's just that we all know that no woman wants to date a guy who can only bring home a smile for dinner. :D

Same to you greymouse.

I'm certainly not going to speak for all women here ;) but I think that, though having money is a helpful and wonderful thing and a couple in a relationship should be able to make ends meet as best they can, I think that many women are *more* attracted to a man's confidence. His self-confidence (not self-importance, mind you, but a natural and balanced confidence). One of the biggest turn-offs I know of is when a guy feels sorry for himself or constantly says (believes) that he isn't worthwhile or can never
achieve what he wants to in life. Even if a guy doesn't achieve everything he goes after, a man who keeps a positive attitude about *trying* to achieve is a real turn *on* in my book.

I think it works both ways, too. I'd suspect that you guys out there would be totally turned off by a girl who never felt confident about herself or was, to put it another way "a downer".
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:38 pm

Brave Archer wrote:But, there is pressure a lot A WHOLE LOT. I don't event know if pressure is the right word, Malia, but it does seem to fit. It's just that we all know that no woman wants to date a guy who can only bring home a smile for dinner. :D

Now even I am not that hardbitten and cynical.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:25 am

Hmph. I'll raise your "smile for dinner" and up the ante with this: long as he graces me with patience to bear all of my "purple riots" and cares an inkling about poetry--I'll make the dinner for him to which he brings that smile.

:wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby greymouse » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:41 pm

long as he graces me with patience to bear all of my "purple riots" and cares an inkling about poetry

I just want a quiet life with someone who could bear the sight of me for long enough to want to spend their life with me.

All I look for in a man is someone I can laugh with and someone who challenges me (and someone I can challenge)

I gather Keats fans are very unpicky lovers! :shock: But you are all so attractive, intelligent, and kind. You could probably all afford to be a little more aggressive at the bargaining table. Sometimes, I think we get everything we thought we wanted in a relationship, only to find there were other things we also wanted and aren't getting. Hmmm ... :? Well anyway that's happened to me before. Here's mine:

All I want is someone who won't throw sharp objects at me, and who is somewhat clean and doesn't swear at me in public. :P I'm just being silly, I love reading your posts all.
greymouse

Postby dks » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greymouse! You are the first person to make me laugh out loud today!! Thank you for that!! I needed it! :wink:
dks
Dante

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’