Why did you first come to this site?

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:36 am

Brave Archer wrote:Forgive the way this looks Im typing on my cell phone.

Now that's dedication!

You are forgiven. :wink: :lol:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby greymouse » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:06 pm

But it goes both ways, as always. I really upset one of my friends once by going into a long, drawn-out soliloquy about how much I despise math (she happens to be majoring in math).

And then there's even a third possibility ... I was a math major and a long time lover of math, who also happens to love the arts. Math I grew up with and was encouraged to do, but I only developed a taste for the arts in my late teens, and I was almost totally on my own.
greymouse

Postby dks » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:58 pm

I envy you out there are good at Math...I have an English degree, am an English teacher, getting a masters in English, and will teach only English.

A little one sided, eh? :lol:

Seriously, you should see my verbal vs. math scores on standardized tests...it's comical. I think I've been the study of the widest margin and chasm between two sections' scores on tests--verbal is way up there, sky high--while math is, *ahem* somethin' else. :lol: :oops: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:25 pm

I always hated math or 'maths' as we say over here.

Numbers and equatiions completely baffle me. :roll:

I think there are two types of intellect: the rational/mathematical/scientific mind and the visionary/poetic/literary mind.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:39 pm

Saturn wrote:I think there are two types of intellect: the rational/mathematical/scientific mind and the visionary/poetic/literary mind.

Hmm. . .I'm not so sure. I mean, Leonardo da Vinci was good at both math (science) and art. And there are definitely other artists who are/were good at and interested in both artistic and scientific pursuits. For example, William Carlos Williams was a poet and a doctor. Our man Keats studied medicine and excelled at it--I think the part he hated about medicine was being around sick people (and performing operations)--not necessarily the study of medicine. Keats was also interested in botany which is a science.

I am not the best with math, myself, but I think part of the reason I am poor at it is because I had teachers who weren't very patient with my questions (I ask "why" a lot--and math is a subject where you really should ask "how" ;) ). I had one amazing math teacher in Jr. High and while under her tutelage (sp), I got A's in Math and really enjoyed it.

Also, Math is actually one of the humanities--like English, languages and philosophy. It is not a science in the proper sense of the word. At my college, the Math department was located in the same building as the English, Language, and Philosophy departments.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:10 pm

Leaonardo was a genius though, a polymath.

I wasn't implying that the two types are mutually exclusive, just that most of us ordinary mortals are either inclinded more to one type of brain pattern.
Last edited by Saturn on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Brave Archer » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:16 pm

dks wrote:
Brave Archer wrote:I came to this site looking for fans of his. Believe it or not there are a lot people who ve never heard of Keats where i am from. Forgive the way this looks Im typing on my cell phone.

Brave Archer! Good to hear from you! :)

DKS it's good to be heard.

Saturn, I abhor math and I know that i'm probably alone when I say that it's too many unknowns and math is never straight forward.

After that i'm probably going to sound like an idiot :lol:
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:29 pm

Saturn wrote:Leaonardo was a genius though, a polymath.

I wasn't implying that the two types are mutually exclusive, just that most pf us ordinary mortals are either inclinded more to one type of brain pattern.

E kala mai, e Saturn (translation: Forgive me, Saturn)--I guess I have a "trigger finger" when I see a comment that looks like a sweeping statement--all or nothing (i.e. People are either artistic in mind or scientific in mind). But I do agree that most people either favor one or the other. I don't think you have to be a genius, though, to be good at or enjoy both scientific and artistic pursuits.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:23 am

greymouse wrote:And then there's even a third possibility ... I was a math major and a long time lover of math, who also happens to love the arts. Math I grew up with and was encouraged to do, but I only developed a taste for the arts in my late teens, and I was almost totally on my own.

Oh, I totally understand. The same friend I was referring to also plays the violin in one of the college orchestras.

I really respect people who have such varied interests, because that's how life should be. One of my good friends was pre-med, currently in medical school, but actually majored in art history. I have other good friends who are excellent musicians, but chose to pursue economics, environmental studies, chemistry, and research biology as careers. I personally contemplated studying astronomy for awhile when trying to determine my career goals (math was the deterrent there :P ), and still am very interested in many areas of science. . . which, I suppose, is a given when considering that my dad is an engineer and my brother is studying aerospace! :P

But, like you, greymouse, I had to discover arts and literature on my own. I was very strongly encouraged to pursue math/science as I was growing up (and was good at them. . . got As and all), but was similarly encouraged in writing, since it was something that always stood out as a talent of mine. That led me to literature, which led me to poetry, which led me to Keats. . . etc. etc. Lo and behold, I end up having a Bachelors degree in Music and English and am off to pursue a Masters in Ethnomusicology, having lived in a family of people who are so lacking in musical inclination that they might even be described as anti-musical. Crazy how life works that way, isn't it? :lol:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Why I'm Here

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:38 am

I came here because I am passionate about John Keats. He represents what I call a Republican Humanist. I thought that I would find some more people passionate about the ideas Keats represents (as well as those of Shelly) in this forum. I thought I'd find people that were also interested in developing a Republican Humanist culture like Keats and Shelly intended to create. And so anyone that wants to join the cause the door is open. I'm going to fight to keep poetry alive!!!
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby dks » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:20 am

Republican Humanist. Hmmm. Nice coined phrase there, MD. I like that. :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:04 pm

I don't think we are talking 'Republican' in the modern American political sense but in an early nineteenth century sense.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:10 pm

Yes, I agree, Saturn. :wink:
dks
Dante

Postby greymouse » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:59 pm

Credo Buffa,

I dabbled with being a music composition major for a few years, so I think that's very cool that you are pursuing Ethnomusicology. Good luck with it! As far as family not understanding goes, I guess that's something we just have to deal with ... there were times I almost wished my family were explicitly hostile to my interests rather than accepting, yet absolutely uninterested like I'm talking into a black hole. :(

Monroe Doctrine wrote:I'm going to fight to keep poetry alive!!!

Nice to meet you Monroe Doctrine, I like your energy! :D Unfortunately, I'm totally burned out with politics lately. Keep at it, somebody has to stay vigilant.
greymouse

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:08 am

Saturn wrote:I don't think we are talking 'Republican' in the modern American political sense

Lord, I hope not! :shock:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous