Happy News

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:56 pm

Saturn wrote:Believe it or not we're having a mini heat-wave over here in the British Isles - 31 degrees celcius today - the highest temperature in nearly a century.

Global warming is REALLY happening :?

It hasn't rained in about a week and a half - it's scary :shock:

Oh and congratulations Credo on your job :D

Wow, 31c is pretty hot for your neck of the woods--that would be in the mid-90'sF, right? (Is America the only place where celcius/metrics hasn't been adopted? :roll:)

We're set for a mini-heat wave up here, too. The forecast for Saturday is 101-110F and we're on an extreme fire danger warning. Of course, this is pretty typical for July. . .would *love* to have some rain, though.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:06 pm

I think there was one day this last week where the whole of the 48 contiguous states was at least in the 90s. Pretty incredible.

And they say global warming is a myth. . . :roll:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:25 am

I hear you guys--all the way down here in humid Houston hell--broiling at 106 yesterday at about 80% humidity and the hottest month hasn't even arrived yet--September--it's brutal... :shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:48 am

Fahrenheit to celsius or vice-cersa conversions:

°C = (°F - 32) ÷ 1.8

°F = (°C x 1.8) + 32

:wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:16 am

Didn't quite know where to put this, since it's not miscellaneous, but it's also not quite enough for it's own thread in one of the specifically Keats-related areas, but it's definitely happy news!

Check out new changes soon coming to one of the best Keats sites on the web!:

http://englishhistory.net/keats/news.html

:D
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:23 am

Thanks for that Credo.

Marilee... that nickname seems very familiar to me.

I'm sure that someone under that name posted on this site in times gone by :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:42 pm

I'm very excited to see the Fanny B. and Fanny K. letters. :D
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:21 pm

Yes!! I, too, am anxious to peek at those letters!! Some new light on Ms. Brawne would be very valuable, indeed. :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:58 pm

Very cool. I'm glad Marilee's Keats site is still going strong--at a new address :) I own the letters from Fanny Brawne to Fanny Keats and they are an interesting read--though most of the letters are about fashion and friends, etc. it is great to "hear" Fanny Brawne's own voice.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:20 pm

Well...I have some mixed news. I secured an English position at a great high school here in the Houston area--English IV--seniors--I get to teach Beowulf and Macbeth, which I'm very excited about. I'll still have to finish my program--I'm halfway done with my Master's, and it will be demanding with a full time teaching job and raising my three boys, but I think I can do it. Right about now I need to hear a resounding, "You can do it!"

The other thing is, my husband and I are separating. I am telling you guys this because this forum is a means of emotional support for me and has been for some time. Even things like reading and posting in "Help and Homework" can, at times, relieve certain amounts of emotional stress for me. I will continue to post poetry--that is an outlet for me and I've been trying to keep my focus on writing about things sans depressive. I just wanted to share a bit of my world with you guys, since some of my posts may appear a bit emotionally overwrought at times--although, many of you know that is a touchstone of my personality anyway. This forum is extremely special to me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it is dedicated to the most touchingly beautiful Romantic Poet the world has known, but also because you folks on here are truly some of the most intelligent, witty, fun and downright best I've ever known.

Anyway, enough rambling...I shall look to post...
dks
Dante

Postby greymouse » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:13 pm

Well dks, it sounds like changes are coming to you and your family, and I wish you the very best blessings. I hope that 5 or 10 years from now looking back, you will be very happy and content about the way it turned out.

Right about now I need to hear a resounding, "You can do it!"

Of course you can do it! Who can stop a Texas gal when she's on a mission? :D You'll find the needed strength at all the required times.
greymouse

Postby Brave Archer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:29 pm

You seem to already be doing it, DKS. Remember everything works its self ou t in its own time, keep your head up and keep doing what your doing and i pro mise everything will fal l into place. I dont believe in luck, so i dont wish it often, but you and yours are in my prayers.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:05 pm

I'm glad we can be of some little comfort and distraction to you here Denise.

This can be a refuge form the harsh world. It has been for me for many years and long may it continue to be.

I for one look forward to reading your wondeful poems and your intelligent insights into the work of Keats.

Our thoughts are with you at this sad time - those boys are in good hands I dare say :D

*Group hug** :P
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:28 pm

Saturn wrote:I'm glad we can be of some little comfort and distraction to you here Denise.

This can be a refuge form the harsh world. It has been for me for many years and long may it continue to be.

I for one look forward to reading your wondeful poems and your intelligent insights into the work of Keats.

Our thoughts are with you at this sad time - those boys are in good hands I dare say :D

*Group hug** :P

Like Patrick Swayze said in the movie "Ghost" : Ditto :)
I hope you get through your tough time smoothly, dks. I'll be prayin' for you! Also, congrats on your cool new job! Huzzah!!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:30 am

YOU CAN DO IT, DENISE!
Credo Buffa
Lamia

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous