Happy News

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby dks » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:33 am

:( :shock:

I'm reminded daily why this forum is so f**ckin wonderful.

Thanks, guys. I need all the "Huzzah" I can get right now. The boys will likely test their mama--just last night Marco decided to run around with the vacuum cleaner attachment, which eventually ended up in the bath with him--I'm single mom (again, I might add) so, I daresay I'll pick my battles with the little man!

I will now officially have marriage-phobia, I'm afraid. :lol: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AhDistinctly » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:47 pm

Hey, dks.

I can’t offer you comfort, because I don’t know what would reassure you.
I can’t offer you advice, because I am not walking down your road.
What I can offer you, hopefully, is a little smile via some really bad haiku:

Bobbing in the tub:
Soapy vacuum attachment.
Mom picks her battles.

:shock: *gasp!* Haiku on a Keats site?
...perched and sat and nothing more...
AhDistinctly

Postby Fortuna » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:56 pm

Ah Denise, my heart goes out to you and I wish you all the strength you need. I know you can do it, and you'll do it beautifully!
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby dks » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:38 pm

Ahh, you guys are awesomely inspirational. I am trucking along, albeit slowly--I've been so tired lately. Teaching takes all my time--then there's school...I start my Keats masters thesis this semester--*GULP*--my professor accepted my angle...Hooray!!

I want to post it so you guys can give me feedback?

I love this forum...!

:shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:47 pm

dks wrote:I start my Keats masters thesis this semester--*GULP*--my professor accepted my angle...Hooray!!

I want to post it so you guys can give me feedback?

I love this forum...!

Well done :D

Yes you must post it :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:35 am

Yes, please do, Denise!

What's your angle?
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:19 pm

Sorry, guys...I'm so busy these days; I miss posting more. :(

Yes, my angle is pretty formless right now, but it's having to do with Clarke's Academy and its direct influence on Keats's life and work. I think since I went back into the classroom, I sort of gravitated toward his education and its profound, reverberating effects on him. My directing professor told me to begin researching 19th C. private schools (like Harrow). Trouble is, I'm having problems finding handy information about Clarke's. The biographers only dedicate a handful of pages to the school--perhaps because it's closed and there is not a fidgeting plethora of information out there on it? I have resolved to visit Enfield when I go to London in January. I'll be going to Dublin, too, for a couple of days. I'll be researching. Any info any of you have in the way of book recs would be damned helpful. :wink:

Sidenote (if anyone cares): I have a poem almost finished, too--will post it by tonight or tomorrow...
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:36 pm

dks wrote:Sorry, guys...I'm so busy these days; I miss posting more. :(

We miss your posts :(

dks wrote: I'll be going to Dublin, too, for a couple of days. I'll be researching.

That'll be three of us on the Emerald Isle at the same time.

I hope you enjoy your time in Dublin. I don't know it all I'm ashamed to say but I'm told its a great party town if you get a break from your research.

Oh and hope you bring a camera to Enfield, but I'm sure you've already thought of that...

dks wrote:Sidenote (if anyone cares): I have a poem almost finished, too--will post it by tonight or tomorrow...

Of course we care :roll:

Bring it on - I really look forward to it :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:36 pm

Dublin?! You should take a little side trip to Limerick. :wink:

ETA: ha ha, Saturn! We're on the same wavelength at the same time.
Last edited by Credo Buffa on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:37 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Dublin?! You should take a little side trip to Limerick. :wink:

That's what I was thinking - I think you two would get on famously :D
Last edited by Saturn on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:24 am

You guys name the place and I'll do my damndest to be there...we could all take tea over Keats...I'll be there on the 2nd of January.

I've heard Irish tea is magnificent. :wink:

Oh, I'll take many pics when I'm over the pond. Just to be there--among Enfield's foxgloves and peonies...maybe catch a glimpse of some of the famous 'gardens' where Keats learned his close knowledge of flowers. :shock:
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:53 am

I have some news, though I'm not entirely sure whether or not I've already shared this with you guys....

Anyway, I was invited to coach the junior varsity girls' soccer team at the school where I teach--and I was officially chosen for the position. This is great for a number of reasons...firstly, I can get out there and enjoy the game--which I love--and play a bit again--it's been a little while, since college and since I played in a co-ed league but got pissed and quit since the damn guys never pass to the girls and they think it quite funny to watch us run all over the field :x

Anyway, this is also good because I very much need the extra money--so I can wield it like a sword ready for battle when the house bills come due! So...I'm teaching, going to grad school, writing my masters thesis, coaching soccer, taking care of this gargantuan house and my boys...

I need a drink... :shock:

Give me some "huzzah" fellow forum-ites...I need it...please, quick before I drink myself into a little stupor. :lol:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:00 am

Huzzah Denise - boy are you busy :shock:

The men won't pass to the girls? You play mixed soccer? :shock:

The guys are probably too distrracted by having girls in the team :oops:

Isn't soccer more popular with women and kids than men in the US?
Well I've heard that anyway...

So the guys have their "football" - sorry but that game is a joke to most Europeans.

They have their baseball, which is a good sport but The "WORLD" Series?? I mean seriously :roll:

They have their basketball which you can't play unless you are 8ft tall.

They do all this and leave the fastest, most exciting and the best sport in the world, the greatest game in the rest of the world to the women and children.

You are lucky in appreciating it - no wonder the American male is doomed :lol:

Sorry rant over. If I've offended anyone I mean it in jest :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:12 pm

Ya know, Saturn, I have tried to get into soccer (i.e. the watching of the game) and for some reason I just can't get too excited about it. I *try* to, mind you, but it's not that exciting. My *cat* enjoys soccer, though, and plays a verison of his own we at home call "paw-ball". I guess I'm a goal-oriented gal (pun intended! :lol: ) and when there may only be 2 goals a game. . .well, it's a looong wait. One redeeming quality of soccer is that a lot of the guys who play it professionally are just too good looking and, well, I don't mind watching hot, sweaty guys run around for a while ;)

In all seriousness, though, I understand that soccer is a sport of what our prez calls "strategery"-- and that it's the strategy that makes the game interesting. I suppose if I watched it more often, I'd understand it more and therefore grasp the beauty of the game.

Speaking of the other sports you mentioned, I can see where people can think that football is a joke--considering how everyone "gears up" in those padded suits. . .but football can be exciting, if you look past the gear. ;)

When it comes to basketball--and football, too--I really only watch college sports. Something about professional sports turns me off. . .oh, yeah, it has something to do with the fact that some of these guys make salaries that could sustain a small country--just for playing a sport. :roll: Anyway, I tend to follow sports that have some connection with my family. For example, we are Notre Dame football fans at my house because my brother got his BA there and we are *serious* Gonzaga basketball fans because half-my family has a degree from that university. That kind of connection makes watching the games more interesting for me.

OK, I'll stop talking now (I'm on an extreme case of sleep deprevation right now. . . :oops: )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Saturn wrote:Huzzah Denise - boy are you busy :shock:

The men won't pass to the girls? You play mixed soccer? :shock:

The guys are probably too distrracted by having girls in the team :oops:

Isn't soccer more popular with women and kids than men in the US?
Well I've heard that anyway...

So the guys have their "football" - sorry but that game is a joke to most Europeans.

They have their baseball, which is a good sport but The "WORLD" Series?? I mean seriously :roll:

They have their basketball which you can't play unless you are 8ft tall.

They do all this and leave the fastest, most exciting and the best sport in the world, the greatest game in the rest of the world to the women and children.

You are lucky in appreciating it - no wonder the American male is doomed :lol:

Sorry rant over. If I've offended anyone I mean it in jest :wink:

:lol: Nah, I enjoyed your rant, Saturn. Actually, MLS (major league soccer) is becoming very big here--especially in the south. Houston has a team--the Dynamos--they are great. These guys play for good cash. Yes, I played on a mixed team--the guys were bastardly arrogant--I quit a long while back. I have been asked to play on a women's league in the suburb town where I live--the games are Saturdays, though--it would be yet another thing to add to the schedule--I'm not too extremely fancy with my footie work--but I'm small--hence, fast. But I looked like a prize idiot along with my other girl teammates on the mixed team running all over because the guys cross and pass way beyond us. :roll: Oh well, I will participate in my girls' drills at least...our season doesn't officially start until January.
dks
Dante

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous