Why did you first come to this site?

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby dks » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:37 am

Credo Buffa wrote:
Saturn wrote:I don't think we are talking 'Republican' in the modern American political sense

Lord, I hope not! :shock:

I hear ya!! :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

By Shelly

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:44 pm

Feelings Of A Republican On The Fall Of Bonaparte

I hated thee, fallen tyrant! I did groan
To think that a most unambitious slave,
Like thou, shouldst dance and revel on the grave
Of Liberty. Thou mightst have built thy throne
Where it had stood even now: thou didst prefer
A frail and bloody pomp which Time has swept
In fragments towards Oblivion. Massacre,
For this I prayed, would on thy sleep have crept,
Treason and Slavery, Rapine, Fear, and Lust,
And stifled thee, their minister. I know
Too late, since thou and France are in the dust,
That Virtue owns a more eternal foe
Than Force or Fraud: old Custom, legal Crime,
And bloody Faith the foulest birth of Time.

Shelly
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:21 pm

So you illustrate Keats' republicanism with a poem by Shelley...
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Digression_jim » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:14 pm

I came here as I Live quietly in a country that is very introspective and difficult to fit into sometimes (language wise), and I wanted to speak to people of alike mind.

Also I have been reading some Dan Simmons which drew me back into Keats again, so I came looking for a Keats site.

I am hoping just to converse with some nice people on a semi daily basis...i hope this is ok with you all.
Dont touch my muffin
Digression_jim

Postby dks » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:43 am

Welcome, DJ--you've come to the right place. :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:24 am

Welcome, Jim!

I too have read Dan Simmons, so I understand your interest. His Keats may be. . . different. . . but he certainly generates interest in the real man of literary history. :)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Bobo W » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:03 am

So it is with me. Dan Simmons has done great in making Keats famous around the world (though I don`t think Keats needs help in this).

I couple of months ago I searched for Keats in the web and I ran to (for was it in?> My english is not so good) this site. But I was`nt very familiar with Keats, so I didn`t enter the forum.... But this year my dad went to the USA and was very pleased when I told him to get me Keats.

Well, the problem was, that I sended him an email two weeks before his flight, and the Amazon.com delivery is three weeks. So, he went into a antique book store and buyed me two books.

Today he finaly received his baggage from the other plane and he was very.... how to say it - cautious mau be the word... whatever - he thought, that I woludn`t like the books, because they are old....

Well, they are really old, particularly one of them. The year of printing was 1907! Damn it, he brings me a 100 years book and he thinks I wont like it!

The other was from 1962....

And now, as I have most of Keats poetry, I feel good enough and not so ignorant as before... So I am here...
Bobo W

Postby Saturn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:37 am

A very warm welcome to you Bobo :D

Hope you like the site. :P
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:16 pm

Great to see you on the forum, Bobo W :) That's so neat that you have antique Keats books. A real treasure indeed.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:32 pm

Yes, welcome Bobo.

An antique Keats book--a magnificent gift, indeed. :shock:
dks
Dante

Postby greymouse » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:56 pm

Bobo wrote:Damn it, he brings me a 100 years book and he thinks I wont like it!

Hi Bobo. I doubt there's a poetry fan alive who wouldn't appreciate a nice old book! I love my Keats book even though it's just a few years old; I accidentally left it outside in the rain for a minute or two, and the next day it smelled musty! :? Ever since then it's had a mild odor to it and I just pretend it's really old. Also, a friend scratched the title on the front cover, so it looks decades old already.

Does anybody else write like crazy in their Keats books? Mine is filled with No. 2 pencil chicken scratch.
greymouse

Postby dks » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:08 pm

greymouse wrote:Does anybody else write like crazy in their Keats books? Mine is filled with No. 2 pencil chicken scratch.

Are you kidding?? My Keats books give new meaning to the word "tattered." :lol:
dks
Dante

Postby Bobo W » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Thank you all....

Actually, I am not much into poetry... but I find Keats different in a way...

Now I`m trying to read some of the notes on my book... It seems the book was owned by a girl with the name of Alice.... there are some notes in the back, but I can`t read them....

Well, I read my books a lot of times over and over, but I don`t write anything on them.... I just never thought of that... but it might be interesting to try...

The site is grate! On the first sight I thoufht the blue was`nt deep enough, but now I begin to understanf why you have chosen this colour.
Bobo W

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous