Let’s Throw Grammar into the Garbage Can!

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby dks » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:08 am

Saturn wrote:I'm in awe of teachers - it is one of the hardest and most important jobs in the world to educate the next generation of children.

I have often in moments of madness thought that I would like to be a teacher too but I know from my own experience at school that you need a very thick skin, an iron will and an ability to communicate with people and to impart knowledge to them - none of which I have :(

Teachers, when I was at school got such a hard time it's painful to look back on those days and remember how those poor men and women were treated by a bunch of ignorant hormonal teenage boys :oops:

Some teachers I remember with real fondness, the ones who were cool had a sense of humour and a paitence and an ability to express themselves and to motivate a bunch of unruly kids.

Sounds like you are one of the cool teachers Denise.

If I wore a hat I would take it off for you :D

:oops: I just know I have a passion for my subject matter--and it is that passion that keeps me going--no matter what I do for a living, really.

Ah, yes...hormonal teenage boys...they're my favorite. I have one who has asked for my cell phone number about half a dozen times already--my students think it's funny that I'm petite and whatnot--they think because I'm small in stature, that that somehow makes me closer to their age :?: Do you see what I'm dealing with here? :lol: My heart goes out to those boys--they could lift a car with all their sexual energy and the girls are quite flirty without realizing how they torture them... :lol:

I had one particular football player who was at least 6 feet and over 200 pounds--he loved to grab me at the knees and pick me up--no kidding, people. At the start of every class, I'd be saying, "Charlie, put me the hell down!" :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:10 am

Malia wrote:Dks, your insights in to the classroom remind me of Parker Palmer. Have you ever read any of his works? I HIGHLY recommend him if you haven't--especially his book: The Courage to Teach. He writes poetically and with such wisdom about teaching and what it's like to be a teacher. We're reading The Courage to Teach in my leadership class because so many of his insights can be applied to all sorts of leaders (including teachers, of course!)
I have a lot of respect for you teachers. I think it is truly a calling and not everyone is called! ;) My little brother just started teaching Jr. High this year and he absolutely loves it--though it completely wears him out as you mentioned it wears you out, too. I asked him what does it take to be a good teacher? He said, "a LOT of patience" and fortitude, and vision and imagination and logic. . .I could go on :)

I need to pick that up. Thanks, Miss Malia! :wink: Oh! Junior High? Your dear brother has earned his way to heaven! :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous