Bright Star

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Bright Star

Postby taylor! » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:02 am

in Line 4 of "Bright Star" Keats capitalizes both Nature and Eremite,

"Like Nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,"

What do you consider these a personification of? I was pretty stumped at that.
taylor!

Postby Apollo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:29 am

Well the notations at the bottom of the page had said that Eremite was something religious. At the time I can't remember what it said so this is somewhat useless. Sorry.
Last edited by Apollo on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there. ~Will Rogers
Apollo

Postby Papillon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:45 am

Just as a thought....capitalization doesn't necessarily imply personification! Keats may have had other reasons for capitalizing these words.

It might be symbolism. It might be an important object/thought. It might be just playing around with the format. It might be . . . . you get my drift!
"The true voyage of discovery lies not in discovering new landscapes but in having new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust
Papillon

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:35 am

Eremite is a word used frequently by Milton - it was a extremely hard stone mentioned in the bible.

Keats here uses it as something permanent, enduring, immortal; like Nature herself.

And yes, capitalization does not always equal personification.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Eremites!

Postby Apollonius » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Usually held to be an old version of the word "hermit". It is certainly used in that sense in "Eve of St Agnes".

If you read the eremite in Bright Star as a hermit, it adds to my idea on the other thread on this poem that Keats rejects the star for its distance and loneliness.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Postby taylor! » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:44 pm

but it seems to me that he wouldn't speak so romantically about something if he was chastizing it; moreover comparing it to nature
taylor!

Re: Eremites!

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 pm

Apollonius wrote:Usually held to be an old version of the word "hermit". It is certainly used in that sense in "Eve of St Agnes".

If you read the eremite in Bright Star as a hermit, it adds to my idea on the other thread on this poem that Keats rejects the star for its distance and loneliness.

Yes I forgot that meaning of the word - you may very well be right :oops:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: Eremites!

Postby Apollo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:28 pm

Apollonius wrote:Usually held to be an old version of the word "hermit". It is certainly used in that sense in "Eve of St Agnes".

While Eremite in this instance does mean "hermit", it was usually acompanied by religious connotations.
Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there. ~Will Rogers
Apollo

Re: Bright Star

Postby Black Fire » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:45 pm

taylor! wrote:in Line 4 of "Bright Star" Keats capitalizes both Nature and Eremite,

"Like Nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,"

What do you consider these a personification of? I was pretty stumped at that.

Well if you read my reply in the section below this one " The Meaning Of Bright Star, my opinion would make more sense. So heres my thought according to my interpertation explained in the other section.

I portrayed Eremite as something close to Noah's arc. Because I interperted Keats on his way to Italy in this poem, and that the ship connection came up. And Keats wanted to have a hope of healing himself in Italy. And Noah's arc was the hope to save life, and so thats my reasoning for that. Noah's arc was confined, much like a hermit...just my thought.
Black Fire

Postby ibasleep » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:20 am

During this time period Keats believed to be at one with God, was to be at one with nature, therefore nature could be capitalized to suggest that Nature itself is God. The holy power that is always around us, with the Eremite being the one who patiently seeks a better and closer connection with Nature therefore God. The Eremite is possibly Keats even showing his own self as someone religious and strong in their beliefs, which I believe he might have done as he feared death, therefore he sought for the refuge of eternal life through religion.
Last edited by ibasleep on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibasleep

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:54 am

ibasleep wrote: The Eremite is possibly Keats even showing his own self as a someone religous and strong in their beliefs, which I believe he might have done as he feared death, therefore he sought for the refuge of eternal life through religion.

No, no and no again - Keats was NOT religious :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:26 pm

Amen, Saturn!!

:lol: :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby ibasleep » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:23 pm

Saturn wrote:
ibasleep wrote: The Eremite is possibly Keats even showing his own self as a someone religous and strong in their beliefs, which I believe he might have done as he feared death, therefore he sought for the refuge of eternal life through religion.

No, no and no again - Keats was NOT religious :roll:

Even if Keats is not a religious person, he still was brought up in a religious community and understood classical literature including the bible. Along with the fact that a poet does not have to be themselves in there poems, so who is to say that Keats did not feel like experimenting with a different perspective in this particular poem. Or even if Keats foreseeing his own death became scared and turned to God as many people do. There I believe based upon those assumptions, and my own personal interpretation, which I have supported, that this poem is religious in theme.
ibasleep

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:08 pm

I'm not going to win this argument am I?

Thus ever with religious people and their unshaken faith in the truth of their own beliefs and convictions.

Rationality is impervious to this stone wall.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby ibasleep » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:12 pm

A stone wall can crack and crumble to pieces, all it needs is something strong enough to break it. I would love to understand where you are coming from, show me, break my wall, prove what you are saying, with something more than he wasn't religous.
ibasleep

Next

Return to Help and Homework