A Tenuous Birthday Wish

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A Tenuous Birthday Wish

Postby dks » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:15 am

We all know he wasn't too terribly keen on celebrating it...but here's to him: the normative soft center of our forum--John Keats is a spry 211 today... :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:26 am

I had no idea.

Happy Birthday - you don't look a day over 25 :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:29 pm

Hau'ole na hanau e Keats!!
I rembember back in college I used to celebrate Keats's birthday. One year, I was able to wrangle one of my friends for a wine and cheese and poetry party on the living room floor. It was fun, but I must admit, more than a little morbid :lol: Anyway, halfway through our party for Keats, some other friends knocked on the door and asked if we wanted to go to the annual Halloween party on campus. We decided to do it and we all rushed to come up with costumes. We ended up dressing as women dressing as men dressing as women. (Try and figure that one out :) ) I ended up looking suspicously like Frank Zappa :?
But we had loads of fun.

On a separate occassion--still at college--another friend (who I was able to turn into a complete Keats nut) and I got together to toast Keats on the day of his death (hmm. . .another morbid experience. . .). We were both under 21 at the time and couldn't get anyone to buy us wine to celebrate with--so we did the second best thing; we bought a bottle of "Juicy Juice" which is a brand of grape juice and toasted him with that. It made sense to us because Keats loved the "ee" sound and frankly, used it *too* much in his poetry. (I mean, when the guy resorts to using words like "bluey", he's gone too far. . .but I digress.) So, we raised our glasses and chanted "More Juicy Juice! More Juicy Juicy Juice!" (A take off on Keats's "More Happy love! More happy happy love!")

So, today, I raise my latte to you, Keats. Happy birthday wherever you are :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:50 pm

:lol: Excellent story, Miss Malia.

We did the Juicy Juice thing, too--except we resorted to finding an upper classman on campus to buy us Everclear so we could make Purple Passions...we were some inebriated English majors... :lol:

Keats did love the (ee) sound, didn't he? He would've loved saying my name, then... :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Cri » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:33 pm

Hallo Malia and Dks!
I don't think it's a morbid thing to celebrate Keats' birthday....I think he is happy wherever he is knowing there are lots of people remembering his birthday....so I want to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY DEAR JOHNNY, WE ALL LOVE YOU!
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, I'VE THOUGHT OF YOU ALL THIS DAY!

Love from Cri :D
...ti verrò a cercare nelle tue stanze vuote....aspettiamo un altro viaggio, un destino, un'eternità; e dimmi come posso fare per raggiungerti adesso...
Cri

Return to Miscellaneous