How'd you find out about Keats?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

How'd you find out about Keats?

Postby ibsilly954 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:52 am

I'm actually not that big a fan of poetry. But, this Keats guy really had something going for him. He was extremely talented. His works were so descriptive and lovely despite the forms that he used to write. My English teacher gave us an assignment to write an ode of our own. And let's just say it was a challenge. Having to write an ode of my own made me appreciate Keats all the more. I'm glad my teacher introduced me to him. I just wanted to know how the rest of you guys discovered John Keats. Hit me up!

-ibsilly954
This can't be!
ibsilly954

Postby dks » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:44 am

I was 17 in my senior high school English class... I read Nightingale first...for a few moments...time faltered... :shock: :)

By the way, welcome to the best forum around...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Kaki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:17 am

Well, I'm in your english class so about the same time you did. :wink:
I repair dictionaries with duct tape.
Kaki

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:33 am

Oh...what's going on here?

I can't even remember the first time I read any Keats - probably read some poems during English class when I was at school but I discovered him for myself when I picked up a cheap Penguin edition of the selected poems - no glossary, no notes, nothing just the poems.

I was immediately enchanted, but impressed, if baffled, especially by Endymion.

It wasn't until I read a biography and read the letters that I gradually began to identify with Keats and begin to truly appreciate his work.

How I ended up the Administrator of "The Web's largest John Keats Forum" is another story :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Kaki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:11 am

Oh, I was wondering about that... I thought you might have just been very bored one day and said "oh, I think I'll start a forum devoted to Keats, and poetry", thats how I end up doing things anyway... That's just me though, course I couldn't pick a favorite anything even with a gun at my head, so it's good to know you know what you like...
This reply is completely pointless, and I apologize if I offended you that was not my intent.
Kaki

Postby dks » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:41 am

You're in my English class, you say, Kaki?

If so, tell me what we're currently reading... :? :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:43 am

Kaki wrote:This reply is completely pointless, and I apologize if I offended you that was not my intent.

What? :shock:

No I'm just intrigued that you say you are in dks's English class...
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:34 pm

:?

Kaki? Show thyself... :lol:

Oh, no. If you are in my class--be sure to tell the folks on here that I'm a smarmy English teacher, who is conventional, conservative, boring, never curses, etc. etc...
:lol:
8)
dks
Dante

Postby greymouse » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:33 pm

I interpreted it that Kaki might be in ibsilly954's class, and that's why he/she discovered Keats at the same time. From what I gather, there's a whole group of students called "IB" that's been hanging out here for awhile ... which is very good for this forum.

Although we can't verify yet that they're not dks' students in disguise. :D

I discovered John Keats when I started reading serious poetry on my own about 4 or 5 years ago. Every book I had referred to him over and over again, so I assumed he must be important and I picked up his complete poems. He quickly became my favorite poet.
greymouse

Postby Malia » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:43 pm

I discovered Keats when I was 15 years old and looking for something "intelligent" to read (I figured that I should start reading the classics if I wanted to be ready for college ;) ). I searched my mom's bookshelves and discovered a small green book entitled: "The Complete Poems and Selected Prose of Keats". Keats. That name sounded so *smart*. And I was naturally attracted to his name because K is my favorite letter of the alphabet. I enjoyed his poetry but admittedly, at 15, he was hard to understand. Loved his use of imagery, though, and To Autumn was the first poem I ever read that "hit" me with the true physical power that only the best poetry can deliver. I especially enjoyed reading his letters and though, again, he was hard to understand, I was intrigued by his life. Not much has changed since then--except I understand Keats much better now. I still prefer his letters to his poetry, but I enjoy both. That little green book has an honored place in my Keats collection which now contains nearly 40 books.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Ah, greymouse. You are probably correct there...duh. :oops: :lol:
dks
Dante

Postby Kaki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:41 pm

No, no not dks, I apologize for the confusion. I meant I'm in ibsilly954's english class. Currently actually. So sorry!
Kaki

Postby Kaki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:55 pm

But you all are correct in the assumtion that there is a group of IBers running amuck. We are doing an entire study of poetry, with Keats as our main focus. But I hear you've attacked one of us...

It's not true is it? You all seem so nice an polite... :cry:
Kaki

Postby Malia » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:29 pm

Kaki wrote:But you all are correct in the assumtion that there is a group of IBers running amuck. We are doing an entire study of poetry, with Keats as our main focus. But I hear you've attacked one of us...

It's not true is it? You all seem so nice an polite... :cry:

Hmm. . .I don't know if anyone has attacked an IB'r--at least not intentionally. One of the problems with on-line forums is that, even though we have emoticons, one cannot hear a tone of voice or see facial expressions so it can be easy to misinterpret someone's meaning. Also, I know that in another thread we were talking about interpreting Bright Star and whether or not it could be interpreted in with a Christian perspective. Many of us were quick to mention that Keats's *intention* was probably not to have people see this as a Christian-themed poem, but that is not to condemn a person for having that interpretation--it is just probably not where Keats was headed with it. The wonderful thing about literature--and interpreting it--is that individuals provide different perspectives and we can all grasp a bit of the truth of a subject from each other (no one has a corner on the market when it comes to a "correct" interpretation of a poem, though some interpretations may be more defendable than others).

Anyway, part of analyzing a poem is understanding that the poem is the one being analyzed or criticized, not the person.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Kaki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:47 pm

I see.
Kaki

Next

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays