Happy Halloween

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Happy Halloween

Postby dks » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:16 am

Ooooh...it's Halloween...I've dressed up and gone the trick or treating rounds every year since I could walk... :shock:

...this year I'm a black cat...got my ears, my whiskers and tail...oh and the fancy black leotard...I think I shall feel rather agile and sexy tonight...purrrrrrrr... 8) :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:27 am

Oh saying that you must provide photos...

Happy Halloween to everyone if you're into that sort of thing.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:02 pm

Saturn wrote:Oh saying that you must provide photos...

Happy Halloween to everyone if you're into that sort of thing.

...and so I shall...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Falina » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:39 pm

Hhmmm... Halloween... It's something like a "new trend" here in Germany :wink: ... When I was a child, nobody went "trick or treating" (if you can say that *lol*)... But in the last couple of years, it became more and more popular over here... But it's not a tradition as in English-speaking countries...

Yet the date has been important in Germany, too - but for other reasons: On October 31st 1517 (yes, I had to look that up :wink: ) Martin Luther is said to have put his 95 theses on the doors of the church in Wittenberg, what caused the Reformation. So October 31st is "Reformation Day", almost a religious holiday...

I don't know whether this is any interesting or important information *lol*...
Last edited by Falina on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are like frost flowers, we blossom at night...
We are like frost flowers, too beautiful for the day...
(Subway to Sally)
Falina

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:52 pm

I'm sure the Pope doesn't celebrate that day though.

Are you sure its in the whole of Germany - there's still a large number of Catholics in Germany who probably wouldn't want to celebrate that day :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Falina » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:53 pm

*lol* Well, I didn't say anyone really celebrates it here :wink: . Of course a lot of people got to church and stuff... But a lot of people don't :wink: ... I was just thinking about the fact that Halloween and Reformation Day are both on October 31st... And that Halloween is not any kind of old tradition in Germany. As I said, it's just some kind of new trend over here. I suppose it's all because of the money one can earn by selling all kinds of Halloween stuff :? ... We Germans already have another date when we dress up (which is enough in my opinion ;)) - but... hmmm... we try to do so many things the same way Americans do.... I mean nothing is wrong with American traditions etc. But I often wonder why we take so many things from them, and do so many things the same way as they - although they don't really mean as much to us as to them...
(Subway to Sally)
Falina

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:12 am

Well the American tradition of Halloween was brought over by Irish immigrants and now the Americans have imported it to the rest of the world :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Falina » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:39 am

Alright, alright :wink: . Actually, I only wanted to mention the "lack of identity" which (in my opinion) we Germans often have :wink: .
(Subway to Sally)
Falina

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:02 am

A divided nation trying to regain its identity is something I know a lot about - its very similar in Northern Ireland.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Falina » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:32 pm

Yeah, true. You surely can compare both countries in some way or the other... Of course there are a lot of differences, too... Germans are, for example, always kind of scared to say they are somehow "proud" to be Germans... I mean, I myself was really surprised (in a postive way!) how "we" behaved during the soccer world cup *lol*. That was a totally new experience :wink: !
(Subway to Sally)
Falina

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:10 pm

Well I'm certainly not proud to say where I come from at all.

In fact I'm ashamed at what has happened to my country.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Falina » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:41 pm

Okay, alright. I know I have difficulties in expressing what I want to say (not only in English, by the way *lol*), so I'll try again...

"Proud" has probably been the wrong word. If I think I about Germany's history - of course it has been terrible, cruel, brutal and and nobody should ever forget anything about it! It's just... well, I don't know how else to express it... this lack of identity, the fact that we somehow still feel personally responsible for things that have happened at a time long before my generation was born. Somehow I feel we have only our past in mind all the time and can't really look in the future...
(Subway to Sally)
Falina

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:28 pm

I don't know, Falina. I'd imagine that most people ought to be ashamed of their country's past. I know that we Americans have quite a colorful history of treating others abominably. In fact, some might argue that we are committing atrocities at this very moment.

Many other countries have similar pasts. It is a shame what we do as a collective group to other collective groups--horrid cruelties we would not do when faced one-on-one.

I don't think that you should feel guilty about what others have done. Those actions were neither done nor condoned by you.
"The true voyage of discovery lies not in discovering new landscapes but in having new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust
Papillon

Postby Falina » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am

Hey Papillion - there's nothing I could add; I just totally agree with you :)! It's what I think, too - it's just hard for me to find the right words in English sometimes *lol*.
(Subway to Sally)
Falina

Return to Miscellaneous