This Living Hand

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:48 am

acrosstheuniverse64 wrote: Personally, I don't think that the poem was addressed to Fanny because there is such an angry undertone that I can't believe John Keats would have taken up with Fanny Brawne.

You've obviously never read the letter he wrote to Brown where he said he should have 'had' her while he got the chance.

Keats was not some wispy softie - don't fall for the Shelleyan propaganda.

Keats was very capable as anyone else to be angry, spiteful and, yes hurtful to others.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:31 pm

Saturn wrote:You've obviously never read the letter he wrote to Brown where he said he should have 'had' her while he got the chance.
Keats was not some wispy softie - don't fall for the Shelleyan propaganda.
Keats was very capable as anyone else to be angry, spiteful and, yes hurtful to others.

Absolutely. He himself admitted to this by calling that alternate disposition he had "fits and starts." This is also the very same man who insulted Fanny repeatedly (albeit beautifully) in the 1820 letters...he assaulted her character and her intentions...he may have been ill, but he still felt...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby ibasleep » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm

Scrib wrote:not to sound redundant...but what if he wrote it to sound unfinished...proving that the beauty of the poem doesn't end...there is no end to beauty, and there is no end to poetry...

The Poem seems to just end, and it is very short which I believe he uses to represent his own life. As he looked at as though he did not have the time to finish what he began (the shortness) and the almost abrupt end he uses to symbolize his own life and it will soon just be taken from him.
ibasleep

Postby Kaki » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:52 pm

You said that in class today. It is a very good point.

But I find it rather appealing if it isn't finished. It makes it so mysterious. Course we will never really know. We can only guess and often our guesses are as far from the truth as humanly possible. That is the only fear I have as a writer, yet others' interpretations can be very intresting at the same time.

Makes language a rather stupid thing to have since we don't seem to communicate well enough so everyone understands. Words mean different things for different people, even if two people are looking at the same sheet of paper they still aren't on the same page.
I repair dictionaries with duct tape.
Kaki

Postby acrosstheuniverse64 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:26 am

Another cool thing that I noticed about this poem is that it seems to be one huge example of form-follows-function: the entire poem is one sentence, with more and more pauses occuring toward the end. Especially notable is at the end of line six where Keats surrounds his last phrase with dashes ("-see here it is-"), as if it were the drawing of a last breath. Also, the last line is unfinished meter, symbolic of dying.
acrosstheuniverse64

Postby shunammite » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Hello people. I don't know a lot about poetry or Keats, but have lived a while and felt a lot. His poem To Hope meant a lot to me. I had never seen This Living Hand until today. It is powerful and saying something absolutely true about human BEING:

Keats knew he was dying, for a year before he died. The point of the poem is so obvious to me...it underscores the preciousness of any individual...and when they are gone, how we would gladly lay down our own life to bring them back...and at that moment he is not gone...and is reaching out to us...the desire to make contact with one another...and to never lose, any of us.

Endymion...the beginning also...overpowers death/despair...in theory...in "real life" it's hard to win that contest. Nasty as death, separation, limitation, etc are...they are necessary, to make things "precious"...if no one ever died, if nothing was ever lost...everything would seem "worthless"...the possibility, nay the inevitability, of loss...makes things/people Precious.
shunammite

Re: This Living Hand

Postby jesleeall » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Late in 1819, already dying of tuberculosis, Keats was working on a comic poem, a fairy tale. Charles Brown later reported in The Life of John Keats that the poem “was to be published under the feigned authorship of Lucy Vaughn Lloyd, and to bear the title The Cap and Bells, or, which Keats preferred, The Jealousies. Keats never finished his comic poem but, suddenly, while he was working on it, he broke off writing—“Cupid I / Do thee defy”—and jotted down something else in a blank space on the manuscript. He wrote this untitled eight-line fragment:
This living hand, now warm and capable
Of earnest grasping, would, if it were cold
And in the icy silence of the tomb,
So haunt thy days and chill thy dreaming nights
That thou would wish thine own heart dry of blood
So in my veins red life might stream again,
And thou be conscience calmed—see here it is—
I hold it toward you.
These were probably the last serious lines of poetry Keats wrote. Most scholars agree that he meant them for later use as part of a larger poem or play, but, nonetheless, this freestanding lyrical fragment seems so vital, so haunting, I don’t see how anyone can safely ignore it. These lines were written by someone who knew, at the moment of writing, that the “warm” hand with which he could still touch you (the authoritative word “capable” hovers capably, both adjective and verb, at the end of the first line) will soon be “cold” and unable to grasp anyone, anything. He reaches out for contact because he can’t stand it. He is distraught, enraged, terrified. He would prove to you he exists: “see here it is,” he declares, interrupting himself, urgently holding out his hand. This is no sentimental gesture. He brings the future listener into direct focus. He turns that listener, that reader, from a more formal and distant “thou” to a closer and more intimate “you,” even as the poem moves from the conditional future to the present tense. He knows he will soon be collaring someone from beyond the grave, but he can only enact that gesture, that grasping motion, while he is still alive. This lyric is a time bomb which the poet is setting to explode on contact, on reading.
The “I” and the “you” in this fragment are unspecified, indeterminate. The speaker could be addressing a private communiqué to someone he knows and possibly loves, say, Keats to Fanny Brawne. An unnamed character in a poem or play could be addressing another character in the same work. Or the poet could be projecting forward toward the reader…I feel free to infer the speaker in the poem as a stand-in for Keats. And I hear the voice with the certainty that the person whose real voice animated the fictive one is now dead. If he could, Keats would have bridged in advance the gap—the impossible threshold—between the dead and the living. We know from his odes that he was obsessed with fusion experiences. But as it stands here, he cannot achieve one. Instead, he would cheat death by haunting the recipient’s (the reader’s) sleep, he would trouble your dreams, leave you so guilty, so stricken by loss you would wish to sacrifice yourself to bring him back to life, thus soothing your “conscience.”
I have never been able to read the line “So in my veins red life might stream again” with any equanimity. The haunting, he seems to suggest, would be more terrible even than death and so you should actually give up your own life to resurrect him. The fury behind this idea is immense—the fury of the desire to live, the fury of the consciousness of death, the fury that some love might have assuaged all this suffering. The utter lack of love infuses the poem’s tone. What ferocity drives it! Keats keeps the desperation going in this lyric, he embodies it in a Shakespearean rhetoric. That desperation give voltage to the well-wrought lines, almost lifting them off the page, almost scorching them. I hear it in the beseeching, agonized, infuriated voice. I feel it incarnated in the physical image of his once-living hand.
To read Keats in good faith is to breathe in these devastated and devastating lines, to take up the offer of his flesh-and-blood hand. He hold that hand toward you in a fierce and plaintive gesture of poetry that tries to go beyond poetry. One imagines his hand moving furiously across the page and then suddenly stopping. The truth was intolerable. The reality that his actual hand would be replaced by these living lines of poetry seems to have given him no comfort. Still, these lines must carry as much of him as possible, now; they are all that is left. The poet perceives this in advance. He gave his word for it. Take it up, as if you were taking his hand.
From How to Read a Poem, by Edward Hirsch
jesleeall

Re: This Living Hand

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:38 am

Wow, I just happened to have purchased this book by Hirsch a few months ago. Glad to see it quoted here. Nice, informative read. Hope others can read this book sometime.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Previous

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays