Ode to the Lightsaber

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:01 pm

Original films love I the more than prequels.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby jediace90 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:13 pm

Haha, I didn't realize there were this many Star Wars fans here. Looks like I'll have to get that poem out soon!

I definitely love the original trilogy as well. But there is so much good stuff about the prequels that a lot of people tend to overlook when focusing on the downs of that trilogy. So I basically love the entire Star Wars saga....except maybe the Star Wars Holiday Special...I love that a little less. Anyways, Star Wars is the best story out there!
"Who's more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?" -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"It takes a lot of energy to hate. You might have other uses for that energy."-Jacen Solo

"Try not. Do, do. Or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
jediace90

Postby Kaki » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:18 pm

You might have to tell them what the holiday special is. I didn't know till you told us in spanish class.
I repair dictionaries with duct tape.
Kaki

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:46 pm

Revenge of The Sith is quite good. I saw it in the cinema.

The other two prequels were unacknowledged comedies.

It was great until Yoda started fighting the Emperor then I started to burst into tears of laughter :lol:

I mean come on....:roll:

Of the originals, The Empire Strikes Back is the best film I think.

Star Wars still holds a mystical appeal for people who were kids in the 70s and 80s like myself who grew up with the original movies. Its a big part of my childhood memory.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby The Killing Light » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:25 am

Whoa whoa whoa...I have to protest to that right there. I find much more humor in the fact that on a website devoted to poetry one cannot see the obvious symbolism of that amazing scene. The Emperor's usage of the Force to strike Yoda with the seats of the council was an ASTOUNDING use of poetic symbolism on Lucas's part. While destroying the council of democracy, the Emperor and Yoda battle as the highest powers in the galaxy, at the heart of the galaxy, with physical representations of the armies of planets (as the seats), in a literal interpretation of a "Star War".

It's probably one of my favorite scenes throughout the entire saga.

So there. :roll:

But I am in no way trying to be hostile towards your opinion. Peace & Love, man. 8)

As to Jediace, you still should've written an 'Oda to Yoda', despite the incredibility of this ode. :wink: Hopefully you've figured out who I am.
Je suis un pamplemousse... me donner tous vos croissants!
The Killing Light

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, England

Postby jediace90 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24 pm

Of course I figured out who you were! Quite immediately, in fact. And thank you for pointing out the amazing symbolism of the Yoda vs. Palpatine duel. I love that scene for that reason. When I saw it the first time I got chills just thinking about it!

I still must write my poem in Yoda-speak so maybe it will be called Oda to Yoda...or maybe not. All I know is that it will be in Yoda form. Working on it, I am. Be done with it soon I will.

"It takes a lot of energy to hate. You might have other uses for that energy."-Jacen Solo

jediace90

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:33 pm

Whatever - I just thought it was hilarious.

You guys take Star Wars too seriously.

Even Lucas himself would admit it's trash masquerading as art and it certainly isn't art, except maybe on the visual side of things.

Like Stephen King novels...Star Wars is the Mc Donalds of movies.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby jediace90 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:28 pm

I happen to like McDonald's...

Hmm...everyone is entitled to their own opinion but please refrain from trash-talking something that some people have a passion for. I could just as easily say that you take Keats too seriously, but I would not say that. I respect that you like John Keats and his work and admire your passion for it. This is because I, too, have the same passion for something. However, I understand that you do not, and may not ever, see what I see in Star Wars (or what tens of thousands of other fans see in it) just as I may not fully comprehend what you see in Keats. Everyone has his/her passions and mine is Star Wars. I grew up with it. It inspired me. I can connect with the characters and the story. In fact, to be honest, it is a part of who I am today and who I plan to be in the future and for this I am proud. Please respect my point of view as I respect yours.

I would also never dream of spreading Star Wars across these forums. I have contained it in one thread and do not plan on bringing it in to others. I understand that this is a John Keats Forum and not a Star Wars forum. I have made multiple, Keats-relevant observations and comments in other threads. I completely respect the site, the people on it and the topic. I merely wanted to spread the one piece of poetry that I wrote and hear what people had/have to say.

Cinema is an art. Star Wars is a piece of art. Nobody will ever be able to change my mind on this topic. I admire every aspect of film and movies because that is the field I plan to enter. I want to be a filmmaker. An artist. I discovered my passion for filmmaking through Star Wars and, therefore, it will forever hold a place in my heart.

I hope you can understand my views on all of these. I had no intention of offending anyone as I was offended. Thank you for listening to my rambling but I felt like I had to say it.

jediace90

Postby The Killing Light » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:17 pm

Saturn wrote:Whatever - I just thought it was hilarious.

You guys take Star Wars too seriously.

Even Lucas himself would admit it's trash masquerading as art and it certainly isn't art, except maybe on the visual side of things.

Like Stephen King novels...Star Wars is the Mc Donalds of movies.

Oh gosh...what a horrible phrase.

I do not believe there is anything out there that can be "taken too seriously."

But jediace, I must agree with the overcapitalization of Star Wars. It's enjoyable to an extent, but it will force (teehee) others looking in to disbelieve the artistic devices we point out to them.

Such is life.

PEACE & LOVE GUYS :shock:
Je suis un pamplemousse... me donner tous vos croissants!
The Killing Light

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, England

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:18 pm

I don't take Keats or poetry that seriously for a start - I can ridicule myself much better than anyone else can and do.

Self deprecation is my speciality.

Life is far too serious to ever take it seriously.

“…since life at most a jest is,
As philosophers allow,
Still to laugh the best is,
Then laugh on – as I do now.
Laugh at all things,
Great and small things,
Sick or well, sea or shore…”

Take things that are real seriously - your family, your friends, your lovers, your country, politics, life and death, not art.

Art is a luxury, not a necessity.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby jediace90 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:16 am

Please do forgive me, Saturn. It just goes to show that we can't go off on the little we know about each other. I am also able to poke fun at myself and Star Wars. Most people who know me have or will see that. In fact, I just returned from seeing the "One-Man Star Wars Trilogy" (a very comical off-Broadway play). This show constantly pokes fun at Star Wars and I love the show! It's the best thing I've seen in a long time.

Anyways, peace? I hold no grudges...it's not the Jedi way. :D

jediace90

Postby Saturn » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:57 pm

jediace90 wrote:
Anyways, peace? I hold no grudges...it's not the Jedi way. :D

Ha no offence taken, or meant - I have many strange hobbies most people would laugh at - I'm obsessed with the band Iron Maiden 8)
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’