A day in the life

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A day in the life

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:13 pm

I'm in an inquisitive, nosy mood today.

Okay in this thread tell us a little about your day.

What's your daily routine?

Is every day pretty much the same or do try and vary things?

Take us through from when you woke up, what you ate, what you did at work/college/University or whatever, who you talked to,what you thought, how you felt, what your health is like etc. etc.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:29 pm

You *are* being nosy, aren't you Saturn? ;) (Just kidding--I think your question is awesome. It will be fun to learn about people's daily routine.)

I guess I'll start--though I expect to hear about your routine, Saturn, considering you posited the question :)

I will use today as my example and even though today is not over, I can pretty much guess how it will turn out as I have a fairly regular routine.

This morning I woke up after a night-long dream about talking with Ian McKellen about his role as Richard III in the movie, Richard III. We talked about his interpretation of Richard and of the character in general for what seemed like hours. We came to the conclusion that Richard was a closet homosexual who, if he could only get a little action, would have had a much more sanguine disposition and would have spent far less time trying to kill people for power.

I don't generally dream of Ian McKellen or Richard III (I'm not *that* weird) but I've been writing a paper on Richard III and its interpretation through film for one of my leadership classes and as I spent 2 hours last night closely watching the film and scanning the play, it was enevitable that I'd dream about it.

I wake up every day around 5:30am and feel so snuggly in my bed with my down comforter that I generally don't get out of bed til 6am. (Isn't it strange that one's bed feels the most comfortable when it's time to wake up in the morning?? Not fair.)

I eat breakfast almost immediately--usually cereal. Then I get ready for work with the t.v. or radio news on. If I'm on top of things, I head out to the gym right away and work out for an hour before heading out to work. If not, I head straight to work (with the occasional stop at Starbucks) and work at an administrative job for 6 hours. I come home in the mid-afternoon and relax for about an hour--usually watch Oprah--and then start in on my homework which includes posting messages to online classroom message boards, reading innumerable books, and every week or so, preparing or writing on a paper.

I call my mom and dad every night and, as part of our conversation, I invariably ask how "Chew-Chews" is--that is my cat who I left behind to live with my parents when I moved away to go to school.

If today were a Friday, I would most likely spend the evening with my brother and his wife and my cousin Beth either going out for drinks and dinner or staying in to have take-out and watch a Bollywood film.

I take a shower before bed, head to bed and read for about an hour. I try to read something light and fun. Lately, I've been reading that book of Fiction about Keats and Fanny Brawne but I often read a story by David Sedaris, my favorite comic writer. Then it's lights out until tomorrow :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:43 pm

Thanks Malia.

I know I asked the question but my routine is extremely dull and boring.

I was interested in everyone else's - people who have a life.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:33 am

Daily routine...mine is a blurr...

I get up at 5, shower, go downstairs to fish through clean laundry on the dining room table for socks and shirst and jeans for the boys to lay out for them.

I dress, put mascara on like it was surgery, down my herbal supps. and vitamins, and kiss the boys bye--then hop in my car and fly down the highway to school.

I'm in my classroom by 7:15 getting ready to greet my students by 7:30.

The schoolday is a tempest...I hardly remember what I wear daily, let alone what happens...

I get home (on a night I don't have class) and sort through bills, pick up Marco from pre-school, hunt down Mike and Matthew from their friends' houses in the neighborhood--cook dinner--eat and talk with the boys, do dishes, get the boys to bed, read to Marco, get online for a bit, email folks, make green tea and take the last 10minutes of my night to sit and gaze out and wonder--about a million things for those precious last minutes--then at about 1 or 1:30 I go to bed.

Then it starts over...

boring, really... :oops:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:55 am

That's nothing to be ashamed of - you are a single parent responsible for bringing up three children - you should be proud.

That could never be boring - maybe frustrating, and bewildering but I'm sure it's never dull Denise.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:41 am

Saturn wrote:That's nothing to be ashamed of - you are a single parent responsible for bringing up three children - you should be proud.

That could never be boring - maybe frustrating, and bewildering but I'm sure it's never dull Denise.

No, you're right. Never dull. The boys make me laugh hard everyday...but my weekends are a bit more flashy...I break open the wine and make popcorn and watch movies...

oohh...I'm a hellraiser, ain't I? 8) :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:02 am

That's more exciting than my weekends then.
:wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby greymouse » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:49 am

This is how my weekends go:

On Friday night I make a "To Do" list. It usually includes about 10-15 things to accomplish including exercise, music practice, chess study, shopping, finances, laundry, reading and writing, cleaning, and anything else. Then I pick them off the list throughout the weekend randomly and add new ones as I go along. This helps keep my time organized since I don't have much time during the week.

Usually I make coffee in the morning and shower, eat lunch at noon, eat dinner at 6, and make more coffee regardless of what else I'm doing. Also, I snack a lot. I never have an appetite for breakfast though. I'm antisocial on weekends - I do most my socializing during weeknights.
greymouse

Postby AhDistinctly » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:00 am

greymouse wrote:This is how my weekends go:

On Friday night I make a "To Do" list. It usually includes about 10-15 things to accomplish including exercise, music practice,
--snip--

Hmm. I've noticed that there are lots of musical people on this forum. What do you play?
...perched and sat and nothing more...
AhDistinctly

Postby greymouse » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:11 am

AhDistinctly wrote:Hmm. I've noticed that there are lots of musical people on this forum. What do you play?
I play guitar and piano, but nowadays I mostly play guitar. I've been doing open mic and jamming with friends so I try to keep my technique clean. I used to be a music major and I played some pipe organ - now that's fun! The problem with music is it's so much work that it can be discouraging. :? Also, I have a weak singing voice with a narrow range and if I could have any wish it would be for a beautiful voice like Jeff Buckley.
greymouse

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:22 am

greymouse wrote: Also, I have a weak singing voice with a narrow range and if I could have any wish it would be for a beautiful voice like Jeff Buckley.

You and me both - Jeff Buckley is one of my musical heroes. I dream of being able to sing and write songs like he could.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Bill » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:13 pm

Well, though each day is a bit different from the rest, here's a capsuled look:

Usually rise around 5:30 or 6. Head downstairs to make some coffee (Melitta drip-the old fashioned way). While the kettle's coming to a boil I clean the cat's litter box. Then I flip on CNN or MSNBC for a couple of minutes to make sure the world hasn't ended.

After reassuring myself the planet is relatively safe, I'll turn on some music....take a quick look at the morning paper, have some coffee, eat some fruit or oatmeal/cereal, feed the cats and then head to the gym.

On the way back home from the workout, I'll pop into the market to pick up items I'll need for a couple of days.

Once home (my office), I'll check email....make some phone calls. If I have commercials or narration work to do, I'll knock that out. Then its on to the solicitation part of my day (finding and contacting those that might need my services). That can take 15 minutes or 5 hours.

Then by 4pm, I'll usually shut down the business part of my day. Then I try to play guitar for at least 30 minutes or so. Oh, the cats (3 Maine Coons) are vying for attention by then, so we'll go through a bit of fun playing tag, or throwing/chasing things.

Dinner, maybe a favorite TV show (though I really do try to limit my TV viewing to a minimum) or movie or documentary. Here in Bellingham WA we're very lucky to have cool things going on most every night, so I'll venture out at 2-3 times a week to see a play, concert, musical etc.

Before bedtime, I'll check email again, maybe zip around the internet for fun or information. Like most of you, I'll read a bit before retiring.

Routine? Yeah, but I'll try to vary things day to day. But, I have found that if I don't head to the gym early in the day, I'll end up blowing it off.

My health? So far, pretty good.....guess I'm lucky. But I'm a bit of a fanatic about it (don't smoke, drink, eat meat....exercise etc).

But as a T-shirt I wear a lot says....

"EAT RIGHT....EXERCISE....DIE ANYWAY"
"A little song, a little dance....a little selzter down your pants"
Bill

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:37 pm

Bill wrote:
But as a T-shirt I wear a lot says....

"EAT RIGHT....EXERCISE....DIE ANYWAY"

Haha I like that Bill!!

Thanks for sharing your day with us.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:17 am

Bill wrote:But, I have found that if I don't head to the gym early in the day, I'll end up blowing it off.

So true. It's too easy to come up with excuses the longer you wait ("Oh, I've got too much work to do." "I'm too tired from all the stuff I've had to do today." "There will be too many people if I go now." "I just ate, so I have to wait another hour." etc. etc. etc. I've used them all :P).

And Denise. . . you go to bed at 1 am and get up at 5? I would die. :shock:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:37 am

Credo Buffa wrote:And Denise. . . you go to bed at 1 am and get up at 5? I would die. :shock:

Yes, I average about 3-4 hours of sleep a night, which is ridiculously inane and just not very smart. I am trying hard to change that...some days I get into bed at 12:30 or so--and that's an early night for me...there's just so much to do, and if I can seize a moment to relax with no one around, I pounce upon it...even if that means barely keeping my eyes open for a movie...

...anyway, I catch up on my sleep a bit on weekends--when I average a hearty 5-6 hours in a night... :!:
dks
Dante

Next

Return to Miscellaneous