A day in the life

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:22 pm

Sleep?

What's that? :?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:18 pm

:lol:

Here, here, Saturn. After my little diatribe post last night, I ended only getting 3 hours last night... :!:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:11 pm

dks wrote::lol:

Here, here, Saturn. After my little diatribe post last night, I ended only getting 3 hours last night... :!:

If I only averaged 3-4 hours of sleep a day, I would be having conversations with the hedgerows before two days were out. I am at my best with 9 hours a night and cannot even make it on less than 7 hours a night. I average about 8 or 8 1/2 hours of sleep.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:48 pm

Yeah, I need at an absolute minimum six hours a night, or else risk getting a migraine (particularly if I get less than six hours more than one night in a row). I usually aim for eight hours, but I'll take seven.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

DID YOU FOLKS REALLY WANT TO ASK

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:23 am

One Random Day

I started by getting up right before Amaterazu rose and shined brightly; and hence I got to see the beautiful sun rise. I was on a mission to distribute the weapon of mass cognition, "Is Jospeph Goebbels On Your Campus?" THe counter to the right wing Nazi propaganda pieces in the Media. I moved with my entourage and bombed every classroom with literature like Mossad agents. THe police got onto the plan and got furious hence the exit strategy by 8:30am.

Next phase in the day involved a direct mental battle with the populace. THe table's got to be set up like a citadel; surrounded by creative signs and creative personalities. I go into intense battles around ideas; people throw out their ICBM sophistries I counter them in the boost phase with X-Ray lasers. I Shut down free trade and extreme environmentalist philosophy like bancruptcy.

Next phase read what I can and try to know it all; political briefings; economic books; Kepler; Archimedes; Principles of Chemistry; Keats and Shelly; Japanese; Chinese; FDR; Mexican History; etc. I'll let ye know more later
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:48 am

You really are politically active MD - do you find time to eat or brush your teeth?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:51 pm

OK, my days really aren't standard in any way, and today has been/will be a bit more exciting than most. Anyway, now that I'm more or less healthy enough to actually start doing things again, here's a rundown:

I woke up this morning at about 9. This is usually the latest I want to get out of bed, since it's too easy to waste a perfectly good morning. In an ideal world I would have gotten up at 8, but I just couldn't motivate myself, knowing that 1) today is Friday and I don't have lectures, and 2) I had no appointments until 11.

So anyway, I got up at 9, had a bowl of cereal for breakfast (Wheetaflakes has been my cereal of choice of late), then poked around online for a bit: checked and answered e-mail, browsed my friends list on LJ, etc. Then I did a bit of reading on an article by Bartok on Hungarian peasant music I have to review for one of my classes. As I realized it was getting close to the time I needed to leave to make my meeting, I decided I should probably get dressed and whatnot. So I did the usual: wash face, brush teeth, comb hair.

At about 10:50 (probably five minutes later than I should have), I left my apartment to walk to campus. It's a very nice walk (when it's not raining) which takes me on a bridge over the Shannon river, through one of the other student villages, on another little bridge over a wooded creek, and then onto the campus proper. I was about five minutes late for my meeting with my lectuter. . . but then again, five minutes late seems to be right on time in Ireland, which is perfect for me. ;) The meeting was about my various essays/presentations/projects for the semester, and thankfully it went very well; she seems to like all my ideas, finally!

After the meeting I headed over to the sports arena for a short workout. Ordinarily this workout would last for at least an hour, but seeing as I'm just now getting over a pretty bad case of the flu, I only spent 25 minutes there on the elliptical machine and called it good.

A 20-minute walk later, I was back at my apartment. I put some chicken in the oven while I took a quick shower (which was very, VERY quick today owing to the fact that the water was ice cold). After that I prepared the rest of my lunch (spinach salad with carrots, peas, hard-boiled egg, chicken, and shredded cheddar cheese), and when it was finally done, I realized I only had 20 minutes to eat it and get back on to campus for my flute lesson. So, I ate much quicker than I would have liked (the salad was very good and deserved to be savored) and headed out again at about 1:50.

I had a short lesson--only my second on wooden flute--and learned a tune to practice so that I can work out the kinks I still have with holding the silly thing without cramping my left hand. Afterward, I stopped at the little cafe in the building for a cookie (white chocolate and macadamia. . . mmmmm), and walked back, once again, to my apartment.

One of my roommates was here when I arrived, so I chatted with her for a little while as she ate her lunch and played the tune I'd learned for her. Which brings us to now.

The rest of the day? Well, for the next couple of hours, I'll be doing some reading for an essay on music and linguistics in ethnomusicological research (woo-hoo) and having an early dinner (I can't decide between a tuna melt and chicken curry) so that I can head into the city center at about 6:30-ish for a concert of Mozart piano concertos for which I'm am volunteering as an usher. After the concert, which starts at 8, I'll probably head back to my apartment, chill for awhile, and go to bed early, since I'm still not quite healthy enough to be out late in a noisy club with a lot of people.

So there's a typical atypical day for me. :P I'm having another one tomorrow, so maybe I'll write about that as well. :wink:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:00 pm

Thanks for sharing that Credo - very interesting.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Apollonius » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:04 pm

I have been teaching Lamia today. I noticed that there is very little on here about this (I think) fascinating poem. Apart from one spammed query there are no threads on it. Maybe I should start one.......
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Postby dks » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:24 pm

Apollonius wrote:I have been teaching Lamia today. I noticed that there is very little on here about this (I think) fascinating poem. Apart from one spammed query there are no threads on it. Maybe I should start one.......

Yes, start one, Ap.

I've been teaching MacBeth all day. I get so charged when I teach Shakespeare. Nothing like a little betrayal, power lust, murder and mayhem before the holidays. :wink: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:31 pm

dks wrote:
Apollonius wrote:I have been teaching Lamia today. I noticed that there is very little on here about this (I think) fascinating poem. Apart from one spammed query there are no threads on it. Maybe I should start one.......

Yes, start one, Ap.

I've been teaching MacBeth all day. I get so charged when I teach Shakespeare. Nothing like a little betrayal, power lust, murder and mayhem before the holidays. :wink: :lol:

SHAKESPEARE ROCKS!!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:58 pm

Undoutedly... :wink:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:20 pm

Please do - there is nothing stopping you.

You know the whole idea of this is for you guys to start your own threads on whatever topics interest you.

This is a two-way street, not one.

You don't have to wait for me to start threads - in fact threads like this are not just nosiness, but desperation to get some debate, some posting started.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:44 pm

I'm a wild animal, I live in a field; except for mid winter when I hunker down in a shopping centre. A feral retailer.
So now until christmas I have a routine..................
Wake up, get up, eat up, drink up, drive up, open up,sit down. Play with my toys. Then simply reverse the procedure. Within days this has become automatic, not much to think about, not much time to think, although as I ponder where to put my battery of lighting effects I feel strangely satisfied.
Like all animals my real routine is annual
Richard

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:24 pm

Surreal as ever Richard :shock:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous