Contemporary issue on Ode on a Grecian Urn

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Contemporary issue on Ode on a Grecian Urn

Postby NamesCody » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:35 pm

I am working on my Senior portfolio and I have find a Contemporary issue on the poem I was given, Ode on a Grecian Urn, this is the last of the project that I have to do and Can't find a Contemporary issue within the poem and/or online anywhere. Can anyone help?
NamesCody

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:15 pm

The whole poem is about the eternity of human art as opposed to human life and love.

This is an eternal subject, as contemporary today as it was two hundred years ago.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Beauty and Truth

Postby Apollonius » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:17 pm

Is surely always a contemporary issue.

Is there a universal standard of beauty, or is it always changing? Is it culturally determined? Is what is beautiful to an Inuit (say) also beautiful to an Amazonian rain-forest dweller?

Just an idea.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Postby Saturn » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:56 pm

I wasn't saying perceptions of beauty are eternal, [these change greatly from time to time of course] but love, and life are eternal human experiences which resonate through the centuries.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:34 am

Yes, I agree with Saturn...

ie. Shakespeare.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby NamesCody » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:20 am

Thanks, But I still do not know what to search for. I have to have a contemporary article on what the poem is about and write a summary of it, but I don't know where to search or what to search for.. Its due FRIDAY DECEMBER 8TH! Can anyone help?
NamesCody

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:38 pm

I personally read the poem as a celebration of the inspiration one gets when committing himself to the arts (ie; about the Muses), as noted at the end of the first passage from '...In Tempe or the dales of Arcady...' right to the end of the second passage which begins 'Heard melodies are sweet, but unheard are sweeter...pipe to the spirit ditties...' (I'm paraphrasing to emphasise my point, I can't remember it in its entirety).
Ode to a Grecian Urn is not about the Urn itself, it is rather an ode to the 'Beauty' and 'Truth' of the creator's 'natural' inspired creative instinct.
As noted by a previous poster, this creative instinct being eternal in that it existed from the dawn of time and is depicted in the art and music and literature of today.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:28 pm

Maybe you could consider Keats's inspiration for this poem. Grecian Urn is based on details from the decoration of an archaeological artifact. Though the people who created it are long gone, the images on the urn are still as alive and real as they were to the original artist. So if you're trying to connect some concrete subject or theme with this ode, you could look at how art from the past endures and speaks to us today about those facets of human life which are timeless. I'm sure if you search for articles about art history or archaeology, you could come up with hundreds of things to which you could apply this concept.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Return to Help and Homework