please helpe me in my homework

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

please helpe me in my homework

Postby Red Rose » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:39 pm

please I want explain of the poem (Ode on a Grecian Urn) by john keats

I want everything about it . every stanza with its explain and there are in it the meaning and figure of speech such as metaphor, simile ....ect .

and this the context of the poem

I.

THOU still unravish’d bride of quietness,
Thou foster-child of silence and slow time,
Sylvan historian, who canst thus express
A flowery tale more sweetly than our rhyme:
What leaf-fring’d legend haunts about thy shape
Of deities or mortals, or of both,
In Tempe or the dales of Arcady?
What men or gods are these? What maidens loth?
What mad pursuit? What struggle to escape?
What pipes and timbrels? What wild ecstasy?

II.

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on;
Not to the sensual ear, but, more endear’d,
Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone:
Fair youth, beneath the trees, thou canst not leave
Thy song, nor ever can those trees be bare;
Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though winning near the goal - yet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
For ever wilt thou love, and she be fair!

III.

Ah, happy, happy boughs! that cannot shed
Your leaves, nor ever bid the Spring adieu;
And, happy melodist, unwearied,
For ever piping songs for ever new;
More happy love! more happy, happy love!
For ever warm and still to be enjoy’d,
For ever panting, and for ever young;
All breathing human passion far above,
That leaves a heart high-sorrowful and cloy’d,
A burning forehead, and a parching tongue.

IV.

Who are these coming to the sacrifice?
To what green altar, O mysterious priest,
Lead’st thou that heifer lowing at the skies,
And all her silken flanks with garlands drest?
What little town by river or sea shore,
Or mountain-built with peaceful citadel,
Is emptied of this folk, this pious morn?
And, little town, thy streets for evermore
Will silent be; and not a soul to tell
Why thou art desolate, can e’er return.

V.

O Attic shape! Fair attitude! with brede
Of marble men and maidens overwrought,
With forest branches and the trodden weed;
Thou, silent form, dost tease us out of thought
As doth eternity: Cold Pastoral!
When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say’st,
«Beauty is truth, truth beauty,»- that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
Last edited by Red Rose on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red Rose

Postby Red Rose » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:55 am

please help me necessary now :cry:

please don't leave me i need you :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Red Rose

Postby Red Rose » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:04 pm

no one want to help me :cry:

there are 20 viewer and don't any one can help me

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Red Rose

Postby Brave Archer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:22 pm

Red Rose wrote:no one want to help me :cry:

there are 20 viewer and don't any one can help me

It's not that we can't or don't want to help you, it's that this question here has been ask'd and answer'd a few times. Check older topics for some "HELP" with the answers, we won't give them to you. You've also pick'd the wrong poem for a definative answer. So many opinions floating around, even though I believe for most of us, only a few of those opinions hold water.

But, the imagery is there and it is one big metaphor.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Kaki » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Yes, and you might be more successful if you start a discussion. Don't you have an opinion to start off on, anyone can give you an interpretation, but in the end you can only support your own.

So shoot. What are your thoughts on the subject and we can start from there.
I repair dictionaries with duct tape.
Kaki

Postby Red Rose » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:15 pm

thanks Brave Archer and Kaki on reply on me

Brave Archer you said that
( it's that this question here has been ask'd and answer'd a few times. Check older topics for some "HELP" with the answers,)

please give me the link of these subject because I searched about the same of my question but I didn't find it .

and Kaki

Yes, and you might be more successful if you start a discussion. Don't you have an opinion to start off on, anyone can give you an interpretation, but in the end you can only support your own.

all this right but the problem that the English language don't my mother tongue but I study English language and my teacher asked from me to bring the explain of this poem and I didn't understand all the lines of this poem. so I asked your help.

What are your thoughts on the subject and we can start from there.

soory :oops: I don't have any thought about this subject.
Red Rose

Postby Kaki » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:47 pm

Try these threads:

viewtopic.php?t=461&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

viewtopic.php?t=1094

viewtopic.php?t=458&highlight=urn

See if these help any, but I'll be honest I didn't read all of them so if nothing else try google or click on the search button at the top of the page. This poem has no concrete meaning, everyone has a different opinion.
Kaki

Postby Red Rose » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:39 pm

ohhhhh :)

thanks very much kaki. I read these links but I didn't find what I want. but thanks for you on searching for me
I found this explaining but I want you to read it and say for me if it suitable and good or not

this is the explaining

Ode on a Grecian Urn

Less glowing, but of finer conception and more rare poetic value, is the Ode on a Grecian Urn. Instead of the long and unequal stanza of the Psyche, it is written in a regular stanza of five rhymes, the first two arranged in a quatrain, and the second three in a septet. The sight, or the imagination, of a piece of ancient sculpture had set the poet's mind at work, on the one hand conjuring up the scenes of ancient life and worship which lay behind and suggested the sculptured images; on the other, speculating on the abstract relations of plastic art to life. The opening invocation is followed by a string of questions which flash their own answer upon us out of the darkness of antiquity - interrogatories which are at the same time picctures, - 'What men or gods are these, what maidens loth,' &c. The second and third stanzas express with perfect poetic felicity and insight the vital differences between life, which pays for its unique prerogative of reality by satiety and decay, and art, which in forfeiting reality gains in exchange permanence of beauty, and the power to charm by imagined experiences even richer than the real. Then the questioning begins again, and yields the incomparable choice of pictures, -
"What little town by river or sea shore,
Or mountain-built with peaceful citadel,
Is emptied of its folk, this pious morn?"
………
In the answering lines -
"And, little town, thy streets for evermore
Will silent be; and not a soul to tell
Why thou art desolate, can e'er return,-"
………
in these lines there seems a dissonance, inasmuch as they speak of the arrest of life as though it were an infliction in the sphere of reality, and not merely, like the instances of such arrest given farther back, a necessary condition in the sphere of art, having in that sphere its own compensations. But it is a dissonance which the attentive reader can easily reconcile for himself: and none but an attentive reader will notice it. Finally, dropping the airy play of the mind backward and forward between the two spheres, the poet consigns the work of ancient skill to the future, to remain, -
……..
"in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
Beauty is truth, truth beauty, -"
………
thus proclaiming, in the last words, what amidst the gropings of reason and the flux of things is to the poet and artist - at least to one of Keats's temper - an immutable law. It seems clear that no single extant work of antiquity can have supplied Keats with the suggestion for this poem. There exists, indeed, at Holland House an urn wrought with just such a scene of pastoral sacrifice as is described in his fourth stanza: and of course no subject is commoner in Greek relief-sculpture than a Bacchanalian procession. But the two subjects do not, so far as I know, occur together on any single work of ancient art: and Keats probably imagined his urn by a combination of sculptures actually seen in the British Museum with others known to him only from engravings, and particularly from Piranesi's etchings. Lord Holland's urn is duly figured in the Vasi e Candelabri of that admirable master. From the old Leigh Hunt days Keats had been fond of what he calls
"the pleasant flow
Of words at opening a portefolio:"
and in the scene of sacrifice in Endymion we may perhaps already find a proof of familiarity with this particular print, as well as an anticipation of the more masterly poetic rendering of the subject in the ode.
Red Rose

Postby Kaki » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Red Rose wrote: Less glowing

plastic art to life

flash their own answer upon us out of the darkness of antiquity

picctures

unique prerogative of reality by satiety and decay, and art, which in forfeiting reality gains in exchange permanence of beauty, and the power to charm by imagined experiences even richer than the real

in these lines there seems a dissonance, inasmuch as they speak of the arrest of life as though it were an infliction in the sphere of reality, and not merely, like the instances of such arrest given farther back, a necessary condition in the sphere of art, having in that sphere its own compensations. But it is a dissonance which the attentive reader can easily reconcile for himself: and none but an attentive reader will notice it. Finally, dropping the airy play of the mind backward and forward between the two spheres, the poet consigns the work of ancient skill to the future, to remain, thus proclaiming, in the last words, what amidst the gropings of reason and the flux of things is to the poet and artist - at least to one of Keats's temper - an immutable law.

so far as I know,

What do you mean less glowing? I'm not familiar with the phrase, is it a literal translation from your native language?

Plastic isn't the word you want, plastic is a very modern word and in this contex it sounds as if you mean something false or misleading when you use that word. Is that what you mean?

??? Darkness of antiquity??? What do you mean exactly? Elabortate more.

Just so you are aware, it may just be a typo but pictures has only one 'c' and I think a better word to use there is images.

You pointed out one positive and one negative for reality but only positive for immortality, the poem points out both the positive and negative of immortality and mortality and ou should do the same.

This isn't clear at all, you never say what will reamain as what. Think of the question:is it better to be mortal or immortal? apply it to what keats is trying to say. And dissonance is a misleading word there is the word paradox, which is an argument leading to a contradiction, that might be better suited for your uses.

I don't know how formal you have to be, but edit yourself out of your writing because it weakens your argument.

Other than that the only thing I'd have you look at would be the structure of pindaric odes. Look up the use of strope, anti strophe, and the epode, or more simply the beginnig, middle, and end. The teltale sign is often the change in the last rhyme schemes from stanza to stanza. check out this website: http://www.answers.com/topic/pindaric-ode
It isn't a very clear definition but it is something. There is also a link there to some info about Keats himself.
Kaki

Postby Red Rose » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:03 am

no this explaining not from my write :? I found it in this website in biography. and I don't know the meaning of "less glowing" or" Darkness of antiquity" because it not from my write but I found it and want you to read it and say your opinion in it " is it suitable or no.
and this is the link of the website whose I found the explaining in it
http://www.john-keats.com/biografie/chapter_vii.htm
Red Rose

Postby Kaki » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:55 pm

Hmmmm....

Well it is alright, the writing makes a comparison to the ode on psyche at the beginng, so the author is saying that the ode to psyche is a better quality poem than ode to a grecian urn, I personally haven't read ode to psyche, but I wouldn't use something you don't understand. How in depth do you need to get into the poem? Because this information makes a lot of references and seems a little confusing. Is this from this web site?
Kaki

Postby Kaki » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:14 pm

These are teachers' essays on ode to a Grecian urn, some of these might be more the sort of thing you're looking for. Just skim them until you find something along the lines of the information you need.

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... nelam.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... omson.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... lfson.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... inger.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... inson.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... nnell.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... eegan.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... kandl.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... haney.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... nhall.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... lings.html

http://www.rc.umd.edu/praxis/grecianurn ... intro.html

Now there's a lot of reading to do but, maybe you only need a few of them. And perhaps I shouldn't suggest this but I will anyway, put some information into a translator because it will be easier to understand the information in your own language rather than in ours. Just be careful, some translators are not very reliable.
Kaki

Thank you Kaki

Postby Apollonius » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:09 pm

Those links are superb. I will be passing them on to my students.

Thanks again.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Postby Red Rose » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:11 pm

thanks on these links. I didn't read them yet but they came late I gave the explaining to the teacher because the time finished and my teacher asked the homework from me and I didn't find anything els so I gave her this explaining

Is this from this web site?

yes

I will read all the links to I benefit from them :)
Red Rose

Re: please helpe me in my homework

Postby marian33 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:02 am

You will appreciate the poem better if you will personally do the translation. The poem has simple meaning, so try it and I am sure you can do it. It is about being young and being in love.

Term Paper
Last edited by marian33 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marian33

Next

Return to Help and Homework