The current/World Affairs thread.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:48 am

Don't you get the feeling that all of those hundreds of thousands innocent families and countless thousand only slightly less innocent service personnel have not died in vain ??

richard :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Richard

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:01 am

Yes I do, and I feel for the families of service personel but however:

Shelley wrote:“…from the moment that a man is a soldier, he becomes a slave. He is taught obedience; his will is no longer – which is the most sacred prerogative of man – guided by his own judgement. He is taught to despise human life and human suffering; this is the universal distinction of slaves. He is more degraded than a murderer; he is like the bloody knife which has stabbed and feels not; a murderer we may abhor and despise, a soldier is by profession beyond abhorrence and below contempt.”

Whether you think the war is just or unjust, whoever joins the military incurrs such risks. If you choose to live by the sword, you may die by it also.

I have more sympathy for the innocent populations of Iraq, Afghanistan, New York, London, Madrid, Bali etc than for people who choose warfare as their occupation. These civilian deaths touch me more.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:09 pm

Yes, those families in the wrong place at the worst of times, they were not factored in to collateral damage.
Those soldiers, though are guilty of no more than being conned.
When Michael Moore was in Flint with the army recruitment officers, its just a way of bringing down unemployment, and all those Homeland Security personnel! I think I said earlier about the unemployable failing to do the impossible. That image comes from Newark airport just before last Christmas

richard.
Richard

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:13 pm

There's never an excuse for joining the army - you have to be sick and twisted inside to do a job that requires you to possibly destroy the life of other human beings.

That's my opinion anyway. I don't expect anyone to agree but that's how I feel.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Richard » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Yes you are right, I am a closet Jain, but I still say they are essentially just innocents/ignorants. Being a liberal is hard work, tolerating the intolerant :)
A change of tack.

La Malle Dame Sans Jambe

Oh what can ail thee knight with arms, alone and..............

An idol falls, breaks apart, revealing a mortal.
I have to accept the fact that Macca is, is just a man.

peace and love richard
Richard

Postby Saturn » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:14 pm

Is everyone not bored of the Mc Cartney saga yet?

I don't know which of them is in the wrong, and which of them is in the right, and quite frankly I don't care, but if Macca really is a wife beater then he deserves all he gets.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:00 pm

Saturn wrote:Is everyone not bored of the Mc Cartney saga yet?

I don't know which of them is in the wrong, and which of them is in the right, and quite frankly I don't care, but if Macca really is a wife beater then he deserves all he gets.

If we put as much energy into feeding the poor and empowering the oppressed that we put into following the f***ed up lives of celebrities, think of the positive changes that could occur in the world.

Unfortunately, the poor and oppressed are not nearly as "sexy" an issue. :roll:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:22 pm

Yes **sighs** :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:11 am

Malia wrote:If we put as much energy into feeding the poor and empowering the oppressed that we put into following the f***ed up lives of celebrities, think of the positive changes that could occur in the world.

Unfortunately, the poor and oppressed are not nearly as "sexy" an issue. :roll:

Amen. Sad, isn't it? If I hear one more tired anecdote about Jessica Simpson--I'll spew... :roll:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Not as Simple as you think

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:23 pm

Some statements that were made impelled me to make a few remarks. Yes this Iraq war is a disaster however the war against Fascism was completely neccessary. I'm actually happy that FDR made the alliance with Churchhill and Stalin to fight fascism. Had the allies not been successful most of us would have been tempura for the fascist to devour. One must know when a war is just and unjust.

Last edited by MonroeDoctrine on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Patton during WWII

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:31 pm

We are advancing constantly, and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose, and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose. Now, there's one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home, and you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you, What did you do in the great World War Two? You won't have to say, Well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana. Alright now, you sons of bitches, you know how I feel. I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle anytime, anywhere. That's all.
General George S. Patton, Jr.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

This JUst in

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:11 am

Arnold Schwartzenazi was spotted with that Dick, Dick Cheney while the revolutionary LYM was organizing during this past Mid-Term Election.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/ ... h=imgAnch4

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/ ... h=imgAnch3

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/ ... h=imgAnch1

[img] http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/ ... h=imgAnch2
[/img][/img]
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:59 am

Whoah...Arnie has really let himself go :shock:

:wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Can you believe Dick Cheney?

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:05 pm

It turns out the Bush-Cheney administration (hopefully the congress will get rid of these guys) are continuing to stir up religious conflict in South West Asia. Some sources say Dick Cheney has been involved in secretly arming the Lebanese Security Force and other parties in an attempt to attack Hezbollah. Also in Syria the Muslim Brotherhood is being supported by the US. And it is public that Fatah is being backed by corrupt elements in the US to fight Hamas.

If this isn't another incentive to remove Cheney and Bush (in that order); I don't know what is. Perhaps catching Cheney sodomizing Bush?
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the execution of Saddam Insane MD :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous