Keats The Movie - the news we've all been waiting for....

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

:)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:42 pm

Thats no problem,well hope it sorts itself out for you.

:wink:
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Postby dks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:19 am

Ok folks--if IMDB has an actual date next to the movie title--then you know we're a wee bit closer to our goal of knowing where, when, who and everything else we're dying to know about this important film... :shock:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810784/
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:41 am

I have penned a letter to Andrew Motion. His was the only contact information I could find--and even that is through his publisher :roll: Please let me know if it sounds alright--Stephen, I've mentioned the forum and I need your seal of approval before I even think of hitting the send button. If anyone wants to change or add to it--feel free. It is the only way, I figured, for us to be some part of this film...even if this letter is only sent--at least that was done in attempt to be a miniscule part of this tremendous project...

Hello.

I am writing you on behalf of my fellow Keats forum-ites, and to comment about your upcoming consultation on the Jane Campion film: "Bright Star."

Firstly, may I say, your recent biography is all inclusive and immensely comprehensive; we on the Keats forum are familiar with it and are happy to say that most of us have added it to our Keats collections. Our hats are off to you for undertaking such an auspicious task; you are quite obviously a tremendously talented author, not to mention an exceptionally accomplished poet.

Secondly, I want to say you have a very much coveted position in aiding Ms. Campion in this vastly important film; we only wish we could impart our knowledge and enthusiasm with regard to this project. You see, we are Keats fanatics, and we are the only Keats 'society,' if you will, on the web. Many of us have been studying him for years--some of us, like myself, have gone on and pursued graduate studies in researching Keats and his work. We are a small group, but an important one in that we simply love Keats--everything about his work and his profoundly resonant life. "Bright Star," is a heralding of sorts to us. We certainly feel that this film could help bring his name and memory to the forefront of mainstream literature and popularity--much like the recent revival of interest in Grail fiction (and non-fiction) in light of "The Da Vinci Code." Not that it is imperative Keats be catapulted to customary or boilerplate pop culture--we just like the idea of people actually taking the time to read him and digest his delicious work, as well as his sage, abject correspondences.

I hesitated in sending these thoughts to you; I did not, in any way, intend to offend you and vainly intrude upon your expertise. We only have ideas and many interpretive musings about his life to share. Honestly, I think we would be happy enough to offer opinions with regard to the weighty role of Keats itself. In short, if a Hollywood actor is going to play him, don't we all want it played right? For some of us, that is imperative.

Many respectful regards,
Denise Klabonski
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Denise I think you write beautifully and the letter expresses both your thoughts and feelings well. Of course you should send it if you feel moved to do so. However, I'm not sure just how big a part Andrew Motion would play in deciding who will play the role of Keats. I understand that he assisted Campion as she wrote the screenplay--probably to make sure she had her facts straight, etc.--and, because of that, he may "have her ear" to a certain degree, but choosing a member of the cast usually involves so many people and variables--not only the director but casting agents, the actors' agents (who knows if an actor is available to play a part--or interested in it, for that matter) who would probably have more say than Andrew Motion would. However, I will admit, I don't know all the in's and out's of the casting business and who knows? Maybe Andrew Motion would be willing and able to put a "bug" in Campion's ear and suggest looking into certain actors to play the main role. It's worth a shot :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:17 pm

Honestly, I just wanted to let them know we're out here and we are worth consulting--even if only a smidgen...I just couldn't find any viable way to reach Ms. Campion herself. He was the next best thing. It would be nice to be consulted or simply sought out for musings and/or opinions for anything regarding the film--the cast, the crew, the screenplay, the set, the storyline, the catering... :!: :lol:

Do you think I need to add anything, Miss Malia? Please let me know if you think I need to address anything else...I very much value the feedback before I send it.
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Dks, I would maybe make the statment clear--at the start of the second paragraph (maybe just after mentioning that we're a Keats group on the web) that we would love to share our ideas about Keats and his life--and his relationship with Fanny Brawne, considering that's the basis of this movie--with anyone who is interested in hearing those ideas. If anything, I would suggest (and maybe even limit it to this) that they come and check out the forum at John-Keats.com to see that there really *are* Keats fans out there and we are excitedly awaiting the release of this film.

At the end of the letter, I would re-iterate the invitation to join us (or even just check us out) at john-keats.com.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:48 pm

Malia wrote:At the end of the letter, I would re-iterate the invitation to join us (or even just check us out) at john-keats.com.

Ah yes, that's a nice idea. He might end up thinking we're weirdos :P but he should definitely have the opportunity. We are, after all, going to be this film's toughest critics, and he is the voice of the Keatsian community in this case.

A very well-written letter, Denise.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:06 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Ah yes, that's a nice idea. He might end up thinking we're weirdos.

:lol: But isn't that what we are??? :lol: I say, "embrace the wierdness!" ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:07 pm

Malia wrote::lol: But isn't that what we are??? :lol: I say, "embrace the wierdness!" ;)

:lol: Yes! In Austin, Texas (where I grew up) the T-shirt "Keep Austin Weird" is immensely popular--I propose a new shirt--"Keep the Keats Forum Weird." :!:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:33 pm

I didn't even know Andrew Motion was at all involved or maybe I'd forgotten. I really should read the previous pages of this thread :roll:

Wow Denise!!! I didn't think you would take my idea of a petition seriously :shock:

I was serious about it though just not confident enough myself to actually do anything about it. My pessimistic instinct says why would someone like that take notice of a bunch of Keats nerds on a website??

May I say your letter is very well written and intelligent [and a little bit of well deserved flattery for Mr Motion can't do any harm] - I expected nothing less from you.

Seeing that in black and white [or our forum blue and black] kind of makes me a bit wary of the idea. It may never be read or totally ignored, or if Motion did read it I don't think he would have any influence at all over Ms Campion and her team's decision on casting.

Jane Campion, from what I know of her work and casting decisions, is a very determined and strong willed woman and will not just cast some big name star to get funding or anything like that so even if *our* preferred choice for the role is totally ignored I am sure she will find someone who will play the role as SHE envisages it in the screenplay.

Think of this - would you have cast Holly Hunter as a deaf-mute Scottish woman as Ms Campion did on The Piano, or Kate Winslet as an Australian backpacker who gets wrapped up in a religious cult as she did in Holy Smoke, just right after the whole Titanic thing?

Those are some pretty brave and interesting casting decisions.

Just on the movie itself I think this will not be a straight forward "biopic" at all I think, just judging form Campion's previous work I think it will be unusual, exciting, emotionally and psychologically acute and just truthful to the human condition.

Of course all this depends on the script and the cast and crew involved but I have faith in this director and whatever happens I will not miss the film, even if it doesn't star Monsieur Mc Avoy :wink:

In my dreams [or nightmares] Andrew Motion would be a regular contributor on this forum [maybe as a moderator on the Help And Homework section :lol: ] but he's a busy man, a poet, an academic, a teacher a writer, a probably a man with a family and all that so I'll let him off the hook somewhat. :wink:

I feel kind of strange and queasy at the idea of the eye of real Keats experts an academics crawling over our humble little patch laughing at our presumption, our obsessions, our weirdness :oops:

May I add though that I wholly support the idea just think that its likely to be ignored. Maybe if we had 10,000 members that all signed a petition but Keats is not Harry Potter and we don't have the numbers to make our voices heard on this.
The sad truth is that Keats, literature and poetry is an [ever-decreasing] minority interest and only the fanatics give a damn quite frankly.

And Denise you don't need to ask my permission before doing this if you do decide to send it, they're your words, not mine. :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Ok, Saturn. I just wanted to get everyone's input. I really just hope for us to be heard and, perhaps, a bit noticed is all. We really are Keats devotees and it just seems a shame to let this slim to none opportunity go by without speaking up--even if only by means of a mere squeak...
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Sometimes the mouse roareth
Louder than an angry lion's maw :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:43 am

I read this
Finally, Oscar-winning director Jane Campion is at work on a script for Bright Star, a film about the womanising Romantic poet John Keats.

:shock:

in one article and realized just how ignorant people are generally of Keats and how this film, if successful could re-ignite interest in him.

This is an exciting time for Keatsians. :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:53 am

Wow. Ignorant indeed! Shockingly uninformed. Makes me cringe. :shock:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:02 am

Yes I nearly fell off my chair in disbelief at that :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to BRIGHT STAR