ode to a greek urn question

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

ode to a greek urn question

Postby franco » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:40 pm

hi everybody
im got to do final test in the university about what keats say or think of love in the ode .
i really like to hear some of your thoughts about it
as long as they have (poetry in hell)
franco

Postby Kaki » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:59 am

Is there a specific part of the poem you want to look at or just all of "a Grecian Urn" in general? For me, the poem was very contemplative over the idea of whether mortality or imortality was better. For example, you can live a mortal life of be immortal on an urn as the characters mentioned in the poem are, but the characters are always stuck in a state where they are so close to doing something, they are always anticipating, but never experiencing. For example the young man will never get to kiss the maid, but he can look at her forever and she will never change or leave. I also feel that Keats' "ode on Indolence" makes reference to this thought process in "ode to a Grecian Urn". So I don't know what it is you want to know, cause I can discuss any point of view for any topic, but I'm not sure where to start. Everyone is welcome to add on to mine or denounce it whatever...
I repair dictionaries with duct tape.
Kaki

Postby Saturn » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:11 am

Well in the poem love is eternal, but tantalising.

As Kaki said, he will never kiss the maid, but their love endures, frozen before it is consummated so they will ever be young, ever be in love, but never able to fulfil that love's promise.

The curse of immortality in art is that even if a work of art endures it will never be truly alive - it cannot compare to the living [and decaying] of human life.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Kaki » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:24 am

So here's a thought, or a question rather: Do you think Keats felt that love was one of the beauties of mortality? And why?

See if you look at the poem, his tone toward the "life elements" or plants, better yet sylvan images if you will, changes from a positve use of diction to a very negative tone in the last Stanza. His odes were his thoughts all sorted out on paper in order of how he thinks about them through his life. And of course the famous line: " "Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all/ Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." so what do you think he's saying about love?
I repair dictionaries with duct tape.
Kaki

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:58 am

Well all i want to do is finish this and get a full line in the forum index last post.
How did he get so much stuff in? Well all i want to do is finish this and get a full line in the forum index last post.
Yeah its quite nice poem, really.
Truthfully its my fave.
How did he get so much stuff in?
Since my 30s its been in my heart, occasionally I check with the manufacturer, to make sure none of the punctuation has come loose, he says it never will, but, being a Londoner too (just) i polish it with scrutiny, (never told him of the modifications though) :wink:
One of those much hyped but truly precious things,that cost nothing but , mean everything.
Its nothing, :shock: just the gaps between the words in those opening lines.........breathtaking.
All in the head. Decadence, of all excess......outrageously oozy with sensual sex.
He knows he has invented paradise, hidden it; and he knows that there are better things. 8)
He keeps nearly coming & nearly coming, goodness he loves this bit. :oops: After the surrender of anticipation...............................................................nothing
except, the experience of that. Which of course you can have as often as you like.
Well, how many happys can he get away with and still invent magic?
And this is a man who in 47 breaths has defined the pleasure of love making, while just admiring Fanny through a telescope :?
Sci-fi black magick in a parralel universe, spooky before spooky, & after that its still there. Again :o . Patronising. I would imagine such a subtly profound stuff has defined maslow & many. Propelled politicians. made hollywood vicarious billions, etc,etc.
It such a great lesson, it should be wired into every brain stem.......
Maybe then........................................
Thats got that gorrila gently from between my gonads, no wonder i strayed off topic. :shock:
Richard

:)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:09 am

R= :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Return to Help and Homework