Immortality

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Immortality

Postby Mira » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi, I'm an Italian student and I need some explanations for my exams.
I know about Keats theory of the immortality of beauty, but I have a few elements.
Can someone write about this subject clearly?

Mira

Postby Steen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:21 pm

Lol, you came to the right place Mira!
The main poem you want to look at is the classic "Ode to a grecian urn".
The Urn itself represents immortal Beauty. As the speaker looks at the urn he reflects on the scenes. The best one in my humble view is the scene with the two lovers trapped forever. It is what you are after. Keats shows that these two are a vision of beauty, which will forver be suspended in this near-kiss. Immortal love that will never fade, never die, but never be consumated (linked to his love for Fanny Brawne which probley was never consumated).
It also contains the lines "Beauty truth, truth beauty" which is reason enough to read it.
Also look into Ode to a nighting gale. "Immortal bird you were not ment for death..." and all that

If you want detail, let me know but I am rushed for time...I have my one Keats exams to revise for! :?
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Mira » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:49 pm

Thanks for your answer, Steen, I was sure that this was the best place.
Well, I'd already read and analised "Ode on a Grecian Urn", so I think I have the general features about this theme.
What I am loooking for is something deeper, because Keats will be the central part of my speech during my exam.
I'll try with "Ode to a nighting gale".

Good luck for your exams. :wink:
Mira

Postby Steen » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:50 am

Thanks..I may need some luck as my exam it tommorow. I have enough qoutes to last me a lifetime...helped in no small part with the fact that a chracter I am playing in a Rollplaying game called "Vampire: the Requiem" (Guess what....its about vampires!) is or was part of the romantic movement when he was a mortal and never really kicked the habit.....Its great fun to qoute and play!

But anyway I have my exam tommorow and am going to have to fight my urge to waffle....and waffle....and waffle a bit more just for luck....
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Return to Help and Homework